Thread: RemObjects and Embarcadero announce Delphi Prism

RemObjects and Embarcadero announce Delphi Prism

Today, at Microsoft PDC2008 in Los Angeles, California, RemObjects Software and Embarcadero Technologies have announced that they have joined forces to develop and release Delphi Prism‚Ñ¢, the next generation development suite for .NET and Mono, based on our award-winning Oxygene compiler technology.

Delphi Prism will replace both Delphi for .NET and the existing Oxygene product, allowing the two companies to work together on providing one unified solution for managed development. It will ship in three editions, Professional, Enterprise and Architect. All three editions will be super-sets of the current Oxygene product and include additional database-focused features from Embarcadero Technologies.

More about Delphi Prism
    A big question many of our customers will be asking is what effects this announcement will have on their favorite compiler product. You may rest assured that we have entered this agreement with Embarcadero because we believe it provides the best possible outcome for our current and future users. It will ensure that the Oxygene language gets an even brighter future than it has already and that it will get much more exposure and see wider adoption.

Both Embarcadero and RemObjects are looking at this as a long term path to make the product successful. This is not a one-time licensing deal, but the teams at both companies will work closely together to continue to expand Delphi Prism and evolve the product over the coming months and years.

The Oxygene team here at RemObjects Software will continue to develop and drive the direction that the Oxygene compiler itself is going. We'll of course listen to feedback from our friends at Embarcadero, but we will not compromise product quality or language integrity, and we will continue to develop the compiler and language according to the vision and path that we’ve moved it along for the past four years. So users should expect no negative change in the quality they have come to expect from the Oxygene language, and the dedication we put into the product.

All ownership rights for Oxygene and all its technologies continue to remain with RemObjects Software and are licensed to Embarcadero for exclusive use in Delphi Prism.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

It looks like CodeGear may actually release a proper fully compliant .NET compiler that is not 2 years behind Microsoft!

Btw, I'm working with RemObjects to ensure that Oxygene will work with XNA, for those of you interested in targetting Xbox 360 and Zune devies.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

This has almost nothing to do with CodeGear, the only reason it'll be relevant is because of RemObjects. Though why they'd sully their reputation by joining with CG, I don't know or understand. This just worries me, honestly, and I have no faith whatsoever in the skills of CodeGear.

When I actually have the IDE I'll let you know what I really think. I subscribed to Oxygene, so I do get Delphi Prism next quarter.

remobects oxygene in a delphi ide will be stunning
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    That would be great, Visual Studio is such a unstable environment.

Quote Originally Posted by cronodragon
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    That would be great, Visual Studio is such a unstable environment.
    I have only had 1 problem with Visual Studio, I have had well over a dozen with the Gemini IDE. Plus, why would RO take the time to learn Gemini? A RO + Gemini IDE would be a disaster, myself and at least 50% of their userbase would vanish instantly. (As it is, the people who wanted to get away from Delphi are already horrendously skeptical! Myself included.)

If you've read the current articles/news/interviews you'd know that this new IDE will be in Visual Studio. You may not like it, but it'll work.

I have had several problems with VS. But I was thinking mostly on the good old Delphi 7 IDE. I haven't seen an environment as good as it, and probably there won't be another one like it never again, so let Delphi Prism be on VS.

Someone just pointed out that QT have released a new cross-platform IDE -
    http://trolltech.com/developer/qt-creator

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7yje3D1UM4&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00& hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U7yje3D1UM4&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00& hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It seems to be mainly C++, but I suspect that it is probably pluginable to allow othe compilers. I believe it is free as well.