Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD in 2009

PGD in 2009

Dear members & visitors of PGD,

It probably is no news to you that PGD is having a very quiet period. News appears very infrequent, member posts are counted on a weekly basis instead of daily, banners showing events that took place a long time ago and in general less and less people appear to visit PGD.
    Now, we've had some slow times before, usually around summertime where people were enjoying the sun instead of spending time behind their computers. But that would usually pick up around september/oktober again. That however, hasn't really happened yet. We trust this situation will still only be temporary and that things will start to pick up again in 2009.

To that end, we've decided to do a redesign of PGD. The current one has been around nearly 4 years and while it is still functional and doing its job, we believe it is time to give PDG a new set of clothes, and at the same time fix a number of technical issues some of you have been experiencing.

Below we have already compiled a short of list things we want to address.
    - create a new graphical design, something simpler and smaller (both in size, as well as bandwidth requirement),
    - replace the current front page,
    - update the forums with new software,
    - replace the library and article sections.

But, we imagine that you have some ideas as well. What we want from you is to share those ideas on how to make PGD better. What do we have to do to make you more active again? What do we have to change to make PGD in the coming years better than it was ever before?

Plan is to begin these modifications January 2009, so make sure your ideas are made public by then.

Thanks,

PGD Staff

PGD in 2009

It's only my personal opinion, but you could add a donation button. Everyone could donate and then you could organize contests with super prizes to win.

A good option would be to establish a project (since it's a site dedicated to game development, it could be fx. a 3D engine) where everyone gathered here could contribute. I'm pretty sure that could be attractive.

I'd also move to some other forum engine. phpBB is cool, but there are better around. Even though they're paid, if you follow the first idea, some people may actually donate to help.

Also, if you need anyone to help you make this website better, I'm eager to help.

That's all from me.

PGD in 2009

Could you make the new layout better to navigate? I did not even realize there was an library and article selection. Maybe i visited it in the past, but i am not sure. Maybe add an wiki for the articles. E.g. take a look on the delphigl site (german delphi opengl board).
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

PGD in 2009

I totally agree with you. It has been very quiet here for a long time. I even started to think that PGD was dying a slow death.

I really like the idea of giving PGD a fresh look. It would sure attract attention. However, it is more important to update the software and squash some bugs that have been around for quite awhile (broken tables etc...)

Are we going to have multiple themes on the new PGD site? I use subSilver which is not the default theme. One thing i notice is that the navigation works completely different. Maybe it's better to make one theme (one way to navigate) and let the user decide what kind of font/color settings to use.

I really like this idea. Since it's quite, less people will be annoyed by any possible "under construction" signs on the pages. However, to increase PGD's popularity it is absolutely neccesary to organize another compo (but that's a whole other topic)

P.S: I would also like to help with the site, but i don't have much time because of my exams, my engine, my other hobbies etc...
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

PGD in 2009

New forum software is a possibility we're looking into. PhpBB still is a major player and I understand that version 3 has many improvements over the older versions. If we are to choose a different one, I'd like it to at least have similar functionality and the option to transfer all current data.

Details like multiple themes have not been discussed yet. I personally want to aim for a reasonably quick implementation, where the focus is on creating better navigation and usability and not to spend a lot of time on a unique forum theme, like we have done in the past.

Re: PGD in 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    What do we have to do to make you more active again? What do we have to change to make PGD in the coming years better than it was ever before?
    1. Replace forum software because PHPBB is NOT good. IMHO it is the reason of the situation. I suggest SMF and will install it if needed. Not sure about transferring current data but it can live in old PHP BB form at worst.
    2. Let people using Google to find the site. Currently the site and forums steel not indexed by Google.
    3. A contest is a good way to promote the site. It's sad that there was no annual competition in 2008. I think Embarcadero would donate a couple of Delphi licenses for prizes.

PGD in 2009

The slow times may be attributed to the end of year, with a lot of deadlines coming and people occupied.

For the updated forum software, it's been long suggested to use vBulletin or Invision Board. Both come with tools to convert your existing PhpBB database to the new board, so all threads, posts and users remain intact.

For that matter, vBulletin has an add-on vbAdvanced, which allows you to put the front page in the same skin as the forum, customize the front-page and show news posts.

Yes, the above forums are not free, but with donations (I'm in, by the way) I believe you can acquire the permanent license without much hassle.

As a forum user myself, I try to stay away from PhpBB and SMF based forums as much as possible. Switching from PhpBB to SMF is like selling your soul to the devil, then transferring it from one devil to another.

[size=9px]Come on, is it so difficult gathering $80 for PGD forum software?[/size]

PGD in 2009

I think we should have some compo's (with or without prizes). Those where usually the busy times.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

PGD in 2009

I think life just becomes busier for all of us, all year round really.

I actually like the site the way it is, it would be difficult to improve in my opinion, although some bug fixing, feature adding/changing and optimizations are always welcome.

If you have the experience, you could try create your own custom forums from scratch to do what you want it to, and save on the bandwidth and bloat as well.

And well now you have one more member back to being active .

PGD in 2009

Thanks for the comments so far.

I see a lot of you are referring to competitions or special 'projects' in which we all can participate. I support that notion and even agree that it may result in greater activity. It is something we might look into when things have settled after the redesign. Mind you that such events do not necessarily have to be organized by staff members. If you feel you're up to organizing a (mini) competition by all means go ahead.
    For instance, there once was a special team known as the DGDev Team who worked on several games. One of them being Horroween.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast