View Poll Results: Are you willing to make a donation to pay for vbulletin or agree go with whatever software we instal

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'm willing to pay for a better forum

6 21.43%
  • No, I dont mind what forum software we use

5 17.86%
  • No, I dont mind what forum software, although I prefer phpBB over SMF

7 25.00%
  • No, I dont mind what forum software, although I prefer SMF over phpBB

6 21.43%
  • No, I dont mind what forum software we use.

4 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum software & donation

Forum software & donation

It certainly does not hurt to have a donation button/page eh.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    I recommend you start collecting money right away (make a PayPal donations account for PGD) and see how much cash you have to work with. If you don't use it or don't use it all for the new site then you can put it towards other PGD-related events. (competition prizes, hosting costs, future upgrades and features, etc)
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by fragle
    @arthurps: I'm curious, wouldn't TinyPortal satisfy the "portal" part of smf aswell?
    i used it like a year a go, i think v0.85 or something like that and i really liked, but it's 1 option vs some options on phpbb side
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

What VBulletin and other commercial software will give us relatively to SMF?
    BTW, didn't found an option to vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    What VBulletin and other commercial software will give us relatively to SMF?
    BTW, didn't found an option to vote for.
    good question
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

To be honest, we aren't really sure about the difference between all packages. We're pretty much going to base our choice on the poll results and from what we read about the three boards.

I personally have only had member status on vBulletin boards so I can only draw experience from that. That said, from what I've seen it does appear to work smoother than other alternatives. It has some interesting features that I have not seen in other boards and, in general, opinions regarding security and administration seem to be more positive towards vbulletin.

If time permits, Savage and I are going to discuss the poll results later this week. But based on the current poll results I see the following happening:

1) We put up a paypall button so people can donate for vBulletin.
    Depending on the amount of money we receive, we will
    A) install vBulletin
    or
    B) go ahead with phpBB

i just tested smf + tiny portal, and i must say that this combination is really good, and best, it's free
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

Jarrod Davis just made a post about a new public site for his tool-chain using SMF Tiny Portal and some other add-ons. I must say... it looks nice.

He also references via links to what his sources were from.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

It is slow. But that could be the server.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

noeska
    What time where you on? My server may have been doing a scheduled backup at the time.

Working with SMF + TinyPortal has been great. I love the fact that you can easily install/remove addons from the admin section. I've found an addon for just about anything I needed to do and with TP's html and php code blocks you can do most anything you need. For example, the random pic block is custom php code I found on the forums. I though I would mention about this forum since there are talks about new software. Just another option to consider.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast