Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dage - Dog Adventure Game Engine

Dage - Dog Adventure Game Engine

Actually, there is an active Lua wrapper for Lazarus/Delphi and in the up-coming Lua-Gems book there is a chapter just on using Lua in Pascal (I should know, I wrote both).

See: http://eonclash.com/ViewProduct.php?ProductID=26

I can happily say that I use this in many projects and products for work and home. This includes JumpStart and a few other game related things. If you would like to view a copy of the article I can try and send it to you over PM.

Also, if you have any questions, let me know. I've done quite a bit with Lua in Pascal and have run into many of the problems and fixes that ARN'T documented in C/C++ as they don't exist in C/C++

Re: First Beta release of the engine.

Download: Dage Engine v0.0.4 1.4mb zipped, 4mb unzipped.

Character can now talk, and walk scriptable.

Okay now scripting wrapping looks better. I can now import Delphi classes to Lua. Not subclasses yet though, but this is enough for me.

jdarling, in the beginning I tried to install that, but couldn't, so I ended up writing my own. But good to know if I have some trouble I know where to ask
    Current projects with Delphi & Lazarus: Dage - Dog Adventure Game Engine.

Release 0.0.5

Download: Dage Engine v0.0.5 1.4mb zipped, 4mb unzipped.

Added more functionality. Demo now loads with little cutscene.
    Changed walking algorithm.

I would really love to hear how this runs on other machines FPS? Specs?

I'm pulling about 90fps:

Dell Vostro 1510
    RAM: 3GB
    CPU: 1.8GHz Duo
    Video Card: Indel 965 Express

It doesn't look too bad so far. You should look into function pointers instead of forcing the use of a function name in your scripts. This would lower your lookup times and execution times significantly. Not important now, but when you start having a lot of scripts running, it will be important

Would be nice if you could interact with something in the world. Granted you can tell that there are papers, maps, a little dog, etc... Now you need to get it so you can do something with them.

The walking algo still seems off. Hard to believe that I can walk on top of the desk (well float to the top) but can't get into the vent shaft. Also standing behind the desk and clicking beside it I will try and walk a strange way. Course odd that you can try and walk up a wall as well. You should check your click point and validate it before starting the walk, also a minor look into A* or similar path finding would prolly be best.

Just my two cents so far.

Re: First Beta release of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahakasvi
    Download: Dage Engine v0.0.4 1.4mb zipped, 4mb unzipped.

Character can now talk, and walk scriptable.

Okay now scripting wrapping looks better. I can now import Delphi classes to Lua. Not subclasses yet though, but this is enough for me.

jdarling, in the beginning I tried to install that, but couldn't, so I ended up writing my own. But good to know if I have some trouble I know where to ask
    Hi Rahakasvi,
    I'm wondering if you could share how you did your own importing of Delphi classes to Lua.

I am always interested in this sort of stuff :-)

Yes, I have already looked at pLua :-)

cheers,
    Paul

I don't remember the previous version doing this, but I noticed straight away in this one that clicking somewhere where the character cannot walk, results in the character continuing it's walking animation (and presumably attempting to walk somewhere it cannot), despite it colliding with an object like a table or wall.

Hmm. The hardest part is to make the walking routine work for almost any kind of rooms. Currently characters doesn't understand to stop if it can't move. Another point is that the collision engine calculates the area where character can walk for the original room mesh. That is why we can get over the table, but not inside the shaft. However this will cause problems on scenes where character can't simply walk somewhere. Like hot lava. Or from the cliff. So I'm thinking having another mesh for just character collisions.

jdarling, do you think that FPS is good for your machine? Or do the engine feel "jerky" from times to times. And yes the character will interact the scene once I'm satisfied with the walking around I didn't plan to imply any pathfinding, but maybe later.

paul_nicholls, I found a source for some Dutch lua wrapper called karmarama. I studied how it worked and changed a lot of it to work with my engine. When I release the source, one can use my wrappings as want.

Latest Version: Download: Dage Engine v0.0.8 1.4mb zipped, 4mb unzipped.

Changes:
    • Walking is better, not yet pathfinding though
      More options to GUI creation
      Inventory example
      Background animation example via 3D sprites

Re: Dage - Dog Adventure Game Engine

Hey guys. It's been a while since I posted an update and Dage has progressed a lot.

Latest Version: Download: Dage Engine v0.2.3 2.1mb zipped, 5,8mb unzipped.

Important new features:
    • Saving and loading
    • Multiple rooms
    • Easy inventory handling
    • Music and sounds
    • .. and more

There are too many updates that could be listed here. See documentation for more information and check tutorials for quick start.

See documentation project on http://rahakasvi.hinguere.fi/Dage/docs/

Questions? Ask on forum http://rahakasvi.hinguere.fi/Dage/forum/

Re: Dage - Dog Adventure Game Engine

Looks great.

I tried your demo and allthough I could walk, I couldn't let wayne interact with any objects, let alone enter another room. I tried clicking on the coffee cup and the desk but nothing happened. Same when clicking the door.

Nevertheless, I think this looks really promissing. I like the way the dog walks and the easy way of telling him where to go (just clicking). Keep it up. Would like to seem more!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast