Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemmings

Lemmings

A while ago I created a clone of the original dos-lemmings
    http://ericenzwaan.nl/eric/lemmings/lemmix.htm

Now I had an idea which could be converted into quite an original game:
    A multiplayer online lemmings game in which the players have to work together to get to the exit.
    I haven't visualised or worked out anything yet, but was wondering if:
    - other people are interested in making it as a team.
    - there could be some brainstormsession about how the game should look and feel.

In case you're interested let me know:
    ericlangedijk (at) gmail (dot) com

Regards,
    Eric Langedijk

Re: Lemmings

Oh, an open-source Lemmings clone! Nice! I think I'll give it a chance. Does it compile with Lazarus? I don't have Windows.

About your idea of a multiplayer game, sounds interesting but I can't figure how two players can collaborate in the game.

Anyway, I think you should find a different character for the game. Lemmings are cool but it may cause legal problems about copyright. What about to use gnomes instead? I think they're cool and has a lot of possibilities.

If you like the idea, may be I can collaborate with some pixel-art gnome sprites.Tell me the sprite size and I'll try a test one.
    No signature provided yet.

I don't think it will compile with Lazarus very easy. I wrote the program for windows.
    I use the graphics32 library and some specific windows api calls. But the main part should compile
    I know about the legal problem. Lemmings are copyrighted I think.
    Gnomes sounds reasonable, or maybe some other creature who is willing to sacrifice it self
    Solving the level with more persons online is not that difficult to visualize for example example: Imagine 4 entrances with different colors of Lemmings entering the game. 4 players control different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by EricLang
    I don't think it will compile with Lazarus very easy. I wrote the program for windows.
    I use the graphics32 library and some specific windows api calls. But the main part should compile
    I see. Then I'll try with WineHQ.

Gnomes sounds reasonable, or maybe some other creature who is willing to sacrifice it self
    While waiting for more creature suggestions, I did this small sprite. It's 16x16. Do you like it?

Solving the level with more persons online is not that difficult to visualize for example example: Imagine 4 entrances with different colors of Lemmings entering the game. 4 players control different colors.
    Then you can add a "Race mode". Each player has a different entry point and a different exit point too. Since they're working in the same scenery the modifications affects all players.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries

You could also make a task for converting other colored gnomes to your color. lol Then you'd be playing against the other tribes of gnomes rather than with.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    I see. Then I'll try with WineHQ.

While waiting for more creature suggestions, I did this small sprite. It's 16x16. Do you like it?

Then you can add a "Race mode". Each player has a different entry point and a different exit point too. Since they're working in the same scenery the modifications affects all players.
    I think your gnome sprite is great! very lemmings-ish
    cheers,
    Paul

I loved this game!
    Maybe your game should be named "Gnommings"
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Very nice sprite indeed!
    To get my project going I need a team.
    I e-mailed some lemming-experts (programmers as well) to ask if they are interested.
    I had a brainstorm session yesterday with a lemmings level designer as well.
    Levels could be cooperative or they can be a race and the idea to convert a lemming to your own color is cool as well
    I think another idea is to keep online statistics for all players.
    And another great idea can be to add a level designer which can be uploaded by users and played by everyone.

another small rodent which are dumb enough to kill themselves -> voles, they will often jump or do very stupid things to escape, resulting in death

The first time i played Lemmings was on an old Amiga A500 back in the day, and that was multiplayer (well 2 player split-screen anyway). In fact, it used a similar method to what you described above but from what i remember, there was only one exit and it was more a competition to see who could get the most lemmings at the end of the level. I remember hours of fun sabotaging my mate's bridges with "bomber" lemmings

I like the idea of the co-operative aspect as well as using gnomes I always thought a multiplayer Cannon Fodder would be fun to make/play but don't posess the skills (mainly why i joined the site. which is great btw) There are sooo many classic games out there just dying for an update.

Anyways, i wont side-track the thread any longer. Good luck with the project and really looking forward to see what you come up with.
    Windows Vista x64 Ultimate<br />AMD Athlon x64 4000+<br />Codegear Delphi 2009, Delphi 2007, Borland Delphi 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast