Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Next PGD Annual?

Blog Entries

The Next PGD Annual?

So when is the next PGD Annual guys? Anyone planning anything? Any themes in mind? It's been too long and going on 2 years without a competition or event to speak of. And where is Jason and Dean?

If you need advice or ideas of how to get prizes and advertize I can lend some advice. I helped run the first 3 competitions so I can give you a head start on what pitfalls you'll come up to first and how to get better exposure, etc...

Lets have a serious conversation on a new competition... PGD needs something to pep up the communitya bit.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: The Next PGD Annual?

Yep, yep... Seems we saw a post about it happening a month or two ago saying keep an eye out. Well, I'm keeping an eye out, but I'm not seeing it yet

Come on, I need something fun to screw up.

I'd love to have another compo here at PGD as i've always been unable to join. Unfortunately I have my exams in May and i can't indulge in some fun project during the next weeks.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I have almost no free time but I would try it again this year. But, please, can you wait until I release the first beta of Allegro.pas 4.3?

Seriously. The version 4.2 doesn't links on Linux, I haven't a Windows installed and I didn't have time to learn another game library1. Only a month or may be two.

1 also I didn't find another game library that fits my style.
    No signature provided yet.

It would be fun with a competition again, but if it happens I would request it to start during the summer and perhaps last for a half year. I know some of us are students and don't have to much time to code because we have exams all the time.

And drop the deadlines. I know they were there for our own sake, but with varying time available they were only causing lack of motivation when you realized that you couldn't follow the deadlines.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Yeah, compo for the win!! I think we should do a compo (with or without prizes) just to keep this community alive and just for fun.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

I would like a "no rules" compo, without deadlines and themes. IMHO it could help to get more entries
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

What about a fast compo, you know, something like Speedhack or TINS.

No fast compo's! Most ppl would not even start about it. Give ppl some time. (I made some games in 24 and 48 hours and I can tell you that you run out of time before you are even started)

Deadlines:
    You MUST have a deadline at least on the end, however, I like the deadlines in between.

Theme:
    Don't have a too complex theme line the multiplexity. Too many ppl baled out. Keep in mind that some are just starters and some are experienced.
    The Big Boss was a realy great compo. It lets the user compleetly free in what to create.
    So let the theme be something "open" like "The Big Race" or "The Big Fight" (and name it more original than I just did ). A theme also makes it easy for the jury to judge entries.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    No fast compo's! Most ppl would not even start about it. Give ppl some time. (I made some games in 24 and 48 hours and I can tell you that you run out of time before you are even started)

Deadlines:
    You MUST have a deadline at least on the end, however, I like the deadlines in between.

Theme:
    Don't have a too complex theme line the multiplexity. Too many ppl baled out. Keep in mind that some are just starters and some are experienced.
    The Big Boss was a realy great compo. It lets the user compleetly free in what to create.
    So let the theme be something "open" like "The Big Race" or "The Big Fight" (and name it more original than I just did ). A theme also makes it easy for the jury to judge entries.
    I almost agree.

I like the deadlines in between too. By the way, these deadlines are just a suggestion (except the end one, of course) so you can set your own deadlines for each step for your development.

I agree with your theme suggestion too. Just a simple one, may be two, will make the compo more attractive.

(I'm pretty bored at the office today. ... )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast