Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Pascal Game Dev Magazine

Re: A New Pascal Game Dev Magazine

I have some initial chapters I wrote about nds programming with free pascal. My first intent was to write a sort of book, but now I don't have time anymore, so I could share it (well, I need to translate it in "my own English", then someone should be so kind to help to port in plain English )
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Thats a great idea. I think I can write some lines about my Allegro's Pascal binding. Allegro is a great C low-level game library and lately I'm working hard to make it work on Linux with Free Pascal (currently it works on Windows and Wine ).

The problem is that I'm Spanish so I think I need somebody to fix my text.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries

Nintendo DS, yes that would be excellent Legolas! Once you've translated it to english send it to my email address and I'll fix it up and format it for the article. Also any screenshots, illustrations or visuals I can use would be great too.

Allegro Pascal binding, very nice! If you have a hard time with the english something small would do also. ie. 1 page of text can easily be made into 2 if there are images and some extra formatting added too. Send them to me and I'll be glad to do the grammar corrections myself.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

maybe i can make an article about CnWizards and it's usefull functions (WARNING: english is not my native language, it will need serious revision)
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

Yeah, that'd be cool. And as before I'd fix any grammar I could.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hey WILL, what would be a suitable length for an article (Microsoft Word format) for the magazine?

My article is using Courier New 10point font, and I am barely into it yet, but it is already almost 3 pages long (A4 size, includes diagrams).

Also I am going to have source code for download too (can supply a download link), but I am going to explain some of the code in the article as well.

Should I break it up into parts?

cheers,
    Paul

Typical article size when going from Word to PDF/Print is 4-5 pages in word to 3-4 pages in print. This is due to a lowered PT size and tricks with layout software that allow us to cram more into a smaller space.

[JARGON ON]
    You can get away with 8pt print (6pt reduced is hardly used but can be done as well) with kerning, mortising, and proper letting. This allows for more information to be presented in a readable format.
    [JARGON OFF]

Typical technical articles run anywhere from 3-6 pages in print. Some magazines (Servo, CircuitCellar, EE Times, etc) allow for more on feature articles and use smaller articles as "fillers" on pages with a lot of ad space.

The best bet is to write your article long (really long in some cases) and then put it down, walk away, and let it sit. Go back, re-read it and remove all the irrelevant crap that manged to find its way in. Of course, having a copy editor makes this easier as they do the minimizing for you

Also, writing it long will give you the advantage of exploring future topics. If you can break a large subject (game engines) into smaller subjects (graphics, scripting, playability, input, etc) then you have just created value for the future. So starting big works in both favors. Maybe you can cover a complex topic at a high level promising more detail in a later article. Julian Bucknall used to use this approach quite a bit with Algorithms Alfresco.

I talked to WILL about this earlier, and am looking to find the non docx format template we use for our magazines. If I can find it I'll post it up for ppl to utilize as they see fit. Of course I'll have to remove most of what directly pertains to our company, but most of that doesn't matter anyways

PS: Short version of my response:
    4-5 pages at 10pt in word translates to about 3-4 pages in print.

WOW! Thanks for the hints/tips/info Jeremy

If it helps (and you hadn't noticed from earlier posts), I am doing an article on colliding 2d boxes with a 2d regular tile grid that has solid tiles.

I WAS going to explain about the type of 2d grid being used + the 3 classes I am using to do the collisions:

TTileGrid class - contains the 2d grid, tile info like solid edges, and finding what grid location a x,y coordinate is in.
    TCollider class - can collide with, and not move through solid tile edges defined in the TTileGrid class.
    TCollidableObject class - has TCollider objects inside itself and won't move through solid tiles because of this.

I'm not really sure yet how I am going to break it down into separate bits if I have to go that way...

PS. Is this magazine going to be down-loadable, or as hard-copy (print), or both?
    cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

This will be an online only downloadable magazine in PDF format. I guess we could see about allowing readers to order printed copies if they want it in that format. I'd have to look into that option if there is enough interest.

Articles can range from 1 to 6 pages (approx.) in the magazine, but obviously the features would be more about the 3-6 page range. I know some people can't or may not want to do a huge article so I don't want to squeeze them out with a few that can write novels. Like me.

I'm going to be away for a few days and won't be back until Monday. So you won't hear from me until then.

Again email any and all articles that are going in for the magazine here: jkamcmillen@hotmail.com

Have a good weekend guys!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Hey no articles delivered yet. Well except for one. Can I get everyone that offered an article for the magazine to give me an ETA on when they can have it done by? I need some kind of date within the next month (of April) so that I can get things together in time for a May-ish release.

Thanks!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast