Thread: 'Screen recording' a running project.

'Screen recording' a running project.

System: Vista, quad core CPU. Also, XP+ amd64.
    Compiler/IDE: FPC+Lazarus
    Libraries/API: not relevant

I am having trouble properly recording a demo of a project.
    Even when I am trying to record on my quad core system, I get very mediocre results. It should be a breeze to record it on such a new system. I also tried to record on my older system, which even worse results.
    Example: this recording, made with Camstudio (on Vista system):

http://www.youtube.com/v/usENCxndsLs&hl=nl&fs=1

It's a fairly easy game for the graphic card.
    Is camstudio not suited for this kind of work (which I suspect)? Should I pay for a better recording system? And what software is the best suitable for recording a project?

Marmin^.Style

Re: 'Screen recording' a running project.

Camstudio is very capable of creating videos. I've used it for all of my videos. However, the way you configure the options in Camstudio matters a lot. The default setup for instance will usually result in poor quality videos.

This guy does a fairly good job of explaining the whole thing.

The way I usually work, is I capture a video with the Camstudio Lossless codec. I then open the file in Corel VideoStudio 12. (which has a lot of cool video editing features for a reasonable price) do some post processing (ie cropping, adding text), and then save the file in whatever format I need.

I haven't used lossless codec, because I suspect it will be a huge file. I'll try. When I use the DivX codec, I get a general error. I haven't a clue why this happens,it happens on both systems. It will not let me record in DivX.
    Edit: aha, it seems you have to download the lossless codec seperately. Ok.

Edit2: I have tried it. It is definately much better. In 16 bit colour, on the AMD64 system, I get a fairly good framerate. I am going to try it on the new system asap.
    Marmin^.Style

For recording the video it usually depends on what my project is:

• For VCL/Windows based apps i use Camtasia Studio 6
    • If it's game related (usually me playing them, but i've just begun working on my own ) i use Fraps

Admittedly, Fraps video is uncompressed, which means huuuge .avi files, but i always produce the final video in Camtasia which does a great job of squashing it down to size and the quality is fine for me.

Windows Vista x64 Ultimate<br />AMD Athlon x64 4000+<br />Codegear Delphi 2009, Delphi 2007, Borland Delphi 7

I found my divX 'problem' :
    from the FAQ:
    CamStudio supports encoding with DivX only at certain image dimensions. Examples are 320 X 240.
    I thought I posted this.
    Marmin^.Style

Oh forget it. I've tested fraps and that's way better. Poor camstudio
    Marmin^.Style

You can use FRAPS or HyperCam and then decode with VirtualDub... Also, if you have Nero go to NeroVision, go to Make Movie, add the avi file created by FRAPS or HyperCam and then click export
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full