Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual?

PGD Annual?

I've checked out the last PGD Annual vids on YouTube, and I became interested. Too bad I was way too late for 2007 Multiplexity...

Are there any plans on a PGD Annual in the future? If yes, I'll definitely enter it...
    If not.. well... that would be a bummer!!!

Edit reason: turned into sticky

Re: PGD Annual?

Quote Originally Posted by pjpdev
    Are there any plans on a PGD Annual in the future?
    To be totally honest: I don't know. Last I spoke to savage and AthenaOfDelphi, both were very busy with RL issues. I dont think either have much time for such an event. And I cant say I have a lot of time on my hands as well (its been weeks since I did any work on my own game).

That said, while we (savage, AthenaOfDelphi and I) have the title staff under our names, that does not automatically imply that we are the ones who need to organize things. It's very much okay if a member stepped up and said: 'Hey you know what, I have the time and commitment, I'll be the organizer of this year's Annual.'.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    It's very much okay if a member stepped up and said: 'Hey you know what, I have the time and commitment, I'll be the organizer of this year's Annual.'.
    That's actually a cool idea. Better yet... How about a few guys organise it together? To be honest its actually quite a lot of work for one guy to manage, so IMO a team of organisers would do a better job.

Does anyone find this idea exciting?

Blog Entries

Well I have outlined in this thread all the things that need to be done for the competition. Now if you or anyone else feel that they can lead a team to do all these things then I'm sure that the PGD Annual will be in capable hands and can go on as it did in previous years.

Though you don't necessarily have to run the PGD Annual event, you could create another too if that's to your preference. In that case most if not all the things I mentioned in the PGD Annual post is just a good idea.

I for one do hope to see the next one soon. There are a lot of anxious people waiting for a new one and would love compete.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks WILL. That thread will help a lot. I also checked out other messages in the thread and there are quite a few interesting ideas for themes and most people liked the Arcade theme idea.

I think PGD needs it's compo back, especially for all the folks, myself included, who missed out on all the fun. This is a compo for the Pascal language. I don't see other game dev compos out there for Pascal. I think this will also give the PGD community a good boost.

I think its time to get a team together...

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just so you guys know... I'm actually trying to write a competition system for managing entrants. scoring etc.  Thought I'd give Delphi for PHP a good workout :-)

But as Traveler has said, I'm pretty busy with other stuff, like trying to get a job :-)

I'll ellaborate a little on what I'm going to try and do...

Having read various posts about competitions, I'm going to try and make the system flexible enough to support big compies like The Annual, but also smaller ones that may only run over a weekend. It will be PHP 5, will run using the VCL for PHP and will most likely be hosted on my server.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Why not a free competition without a theme. Personally, I never liked these competitions which only have a few months developing time, and some random theme. Just send in what you've made the last years (original work only of course.)
    Marmin^.Style

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've made a thread asking for what you guys want for the annual competition... I'm going to try and get it sorted :-)

marmin: I've just read you moved this post into this thread... if this is what you want from a competition, then bang it in the information request thread I started. The idea behind the competition system I'm writing is that it won't just support the PGD Annual, but will hopefully be a more generalised competition platform with multiple competition types.

The problem of course is gaining prizes... one big competition is much easier to get prizes for than a bunch of smaller ones.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi
    Just so you guys know... I'm actually trying to write a competition system for managing entrants. scoring etc. Thought I'd give Delphi for PHP a good workout :-)
    PHPEd and Komodo are lightyears ahead of Delphi for PHP. Easier to use and better integration with Zend Studios. Of course, the best PHP editor I've ever seen is still Notepad++.

- Jeremy

I only finished 2 games to date and don't know if I will be able to make a game 'on demand'... be that as it may I will watch this thread closely
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast