Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Side Effect

Re: Side Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    don't listen to them, they are gremlins....

By all means, let him try...who knows...

We were just pointing out the realistic problems that will have to be dealt with...
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full

haha i know i just had to write it tho but anyways my point is, if you are determined, then anything is possible, and for ideas - if you have ideas - and you have interest, the ideas will make you want to move forward

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PJP Dev
    The libs I plan to use are SDL, OpenGL, OpenAL and Vorbis.
    I think that these are a great combination, because even if you didn't go cross-platform they are very easy to work with and derive your own routines and functions from.

Quote Originally Posted by PJP Dev
    Should I use an existing engine (eg. Quake3) and work from that? Maybe juicing up the graphics a little, etc.

Another question: What good FPS engines are out there thats written in Pascal/Delphi?
    You should first look in the PGD Library. There is a whole guide to current and discontinued (but still availible and highly useable!!!) I've added all the 3D game engines ones that I know of all written in Pascal/Object Pascal. You may be able to find one that closest matches what you want your game/engine to be like and modify it so that it'll support what you want.

Go here and have a look: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com.../GameEngines3D

(Please note that I may have not put in all the information in due to my own lack of free time, but you can look up the names thru Google and find them easily.)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks WILL.

I'm in no hurry with this project. I knew when I got the idea that it'll be difficult and take long. I'm one of those guys that likes a challenge, if I don't get challenged by the technical aspects of projects I tend to get bored with it.

What about graphics? Do you know anyone able to create art for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    What about graphics? Do you know anyone able to create art for you?
    It's a bit early to worry about art, since I'm still doing the planning for the project. But some time I have to do something about art. Either get an artist, or do it myself.

With the latter I have to learn a lot of stuff about 3D modelling, Texture painting, etc. I barely know this stuff, but my avatar looks okay (made it with blender)

But I would like to get someone to work on the art for the game, so that I can focus on the technical aspects.

You could also use "programmer art", which is temporary.

I often see games at gamedev.net that have placeholder graphics and such. It may be a good idea to focus on the technical aspect (getting the engine working, managing your objects, let them interact etc) and finally add some good looking models. If your product is playable but only lacks good graphics, artists are more likely to help you.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12