Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Competition Site - PGDAnnual.com

Re: New Competition Site - PGDAnnual.com

Hi

My real name has a "-" in and the system doesn't like it, but thats not a problem. The big prob I have is that I didn't receive my activation e-mail, and I registered last night. I know my supplied e-mail adress is correct, because if I try to log in the system tells me that the account is not activated.

Apart from that... GREAT WORK!!!

@PJPDev, I can see you have been added to the system with your current PGD emailaddress. Could you tell if the email ended up in a spamfilter? Several people have registered and activated their accounts already, so I can only assume an activation email has been sent to you as well.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PJP Dev
    Hi

My real name has a "-" in and the system doesn't like it, but thats not a problem. The big prob I have is that I didn't receive my activation e-mail, and I registered last night. I know my supplied e-mail adress is correct, because if I try to log in the system tells me that the account is not activated.

Apart from that... GREAT WORK!!!
    I've just sent you an email which will go through the same mail server, so lets see if you get that one. If not, then it could be a block on my mail server by your ISP or something to do with authenticating the server with reverse DNS. Let me know if you get the mail.

With regards to characters not currently allowed... I'm going to expand the list of allowed characters. I mainly limited them to try and reduce the chances of some obscure characters breaking the SQL and allowing injection attacks. But, I don't think thats a problem as I think I've gotten all the ones that could be problematic, so I'lll extend the allowed ranges when I've got the rest of the system sorted.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Well, successfully registered awaiting activation email. I have to say its VERY hard for me to read/work with. Hopefully there will be a version that is easier on the eyes .

Looking forward to the competition this year and can't wait to see the results!

- Jeremy

mysql_real_escape_string is your friend AOD. Course I'm taking for granted that you are using MySQL since your using PHP. A nice trick it to place an iterator at the top of your indexer that lets you escape ALL incoming REQUEST values. Then in your DAO simply make sure it calls strip_slashes.

I have a complete DAO with VO support that performs these operations automatically if it would help.

- Jeremy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    I have to say its VERY hard for me to read/work with. Hopefully there will be a version that is easier on the eyes .
    Hi Jeremy,

What about the site is hard on the eyes from your perspective?

There is a themer element to the site, with the option for users to specify a theme. But it's not implemented fully (i.e. users cannot currently select the theme). So I may be able to sort something out, but I will need clear details about what needs changing, and I'm not making any promises at this stage.

I can't get into the site right now (seems down) but there was something about it that gave me a headache. I have to admit that I'm in the general minority though (very few people have the same vision issues I do).

Soon as the site is back up I'll let take another look and let you know.

- Jeremy

Blog Entries

Hi Jeremy,

Yeah, the site is down because my hosting provider is moving my dedicated server to a new datacenter. I think it went offline at about 12:30am BST, so if they run to the maximum window they gave me, it should be back online no later than 2:30am BST.

I'm guessing that the problem with the site is just the colour scheme... possibly a bit bright. The scheme is just one I put together quickly using some stuff I'd created for another project, so I may tweak it before we go live properly... but thats if I have time.

Anyhow, when the site is back up, have a look and let me know what it is that causes you pain.

Finally got back into the competition site here at home. Now little about the site makes me feel ill. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the color selected as the background of the main body (light yellow?). On my low end CRT at the office it looked BAD while at home on my high end CRT's and LCD's all looks good.

As I said, I have strange eyes so its prolly just me this time around.

The footer and top right of the header are about un-readable due to their small font size. They become blurry quickly on smaller screens (again not a concern on a gamer site).

- Jeremy

Blog Entries

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. What browser are you using? I have a fairly low end 1440x900 flat panel connected to my laptop. With FireFox 3, it's all fine... but with IE 7, it is pretty small and quite difficult to read. I need to implement browser detection and stylesheet tweaks to handle the differences, but for now, it's taking a back seat.

I'm interested in why the background colour doesn't agree with you. And I'm open to suggestions for alternatives that don't require big changes elsewhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast