Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New release: FPC 2.2.4a for Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New release: FPC 2.2.4a for Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS

As promised, I have just uploaded the new fpc stable release 2.2.4a, for GBA and NDS. Because some bug fixes added in the development trunk that aren't merged to 2.2.4 branch, a couple of new features are postponed to the next release. But don't worry, all should work fine without them

So, let's talk a bit about this release! I have added a batch script to auto configure the fpc.cfg file, so it should be easier to install the compiler. Now there are several new examples and, among others, I'm sure you will find interesting the ones about sprites and background, as well as the ones about music and effects. All examples are now shipped with makefile and Makefile.fpc; no more need to call external tools, all the work is done behind the scenes (calling image and sound conversion tools, patching the executables, etc.).

fpc4gba 2.2.4a - (9.41 MB)
    fpc4nds 2.2.4a - (11.5 MB)
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Re: New release: FPC 2.2.4a for Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS

Sweet! Great job Legolas!

I think I will even download and give them a whirl - my wife has a Nintendo DS
    Perhaps I will try making something for her
    cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

I should note that I got my girlfriend a DS for Christmas just last year. Should I start to tinker. I do have one available to test things on.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I think I must test it. Thanks for the work, Legolas.
    No signature provided yet.

Thanks guys! Please, let me know if something is wrong

@?ëu?±o: take a look at makefile.fpc in the "examples" directory, maybe it can help

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    @?ëu?±o: take a look at makefile.fpc in the "examples" directory, maybe it can help
    Oh! Thank you very much!
    No signature provided yet.

As promised, I have just uploaded the new fpc stable release 2.2.4a, for GBA and NDS. Because some bug fixes added in the development trunk that aren't merged to 2.2.4 branch, a couple of new features are postponed to the next release. But don't worry, all should work fine without them

So, let's talk a bit about this release! I have added a batch script to auto configure the fpc.cfg file, so it should be easier to install the compiler. Now there are several new examples and, among others, I'm sure you will find interesting the ones about sprites and background, as well as the ones about music and effects. All examples are now shipped with makefile and Makefile.fpc; no more need to call external tools, all the work is done behind the scenes (calling image and sound conversion tools, patching the executables, etc.).

Hi Legolas, well done
    Unfortunately, the download links you posted didn't work for me...

I had to change "http://ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/..." to "ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/..." to get the downloads working.

ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dis...i386-win32.zip
    ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/dis...i386-win32.zip

cheers,
    Paul.

*Ouch*
    Haven't noticed the "Insert ftp link" button...
    Thanks, it's fixed now

Hi Legolas,
    I downloaded both zip files and extracted them to my g: drive.

Example:

Code:
    G:\arm-gba-fpc\
    G:\arm-nds-fpc
    I also downloaded devkitARM and ran the install program (extracted to G:\devkitARM)

I then went into theG:\arm-gba-fpc\ folder and ran the setpath.bat file to set the devkitARM path to G:\devkitARM.

How do I actually go about building one of the example programs?

I altered the build.bat file in the G:\arm-gba-fpc\examples\graphics\PCXView folder to this

Code:
    @echo off

set path=G:\arm-gba-fpc\bin\arm-gba;g:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.3\bin\i386-win32;%PATH%

fpcmake -w -Tgba

make OS_TARGET=gba CPU_TARGET=arm BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-eabi- 

pause
    to reflect where my gba binaries are and ran the bat file.

I got these errors:

Code:
    Processing Makefile.fpc
    Error: Target "gba", package "libgbafpc" not found
    'Converting ScoutSplash.pcx file to asm...'
    'Creating ScoutSplash.pcx.inc include file...'
    'tr' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.
    make: *** [ScoutSplash.pcx] Error 255
    Press any key to continue . . .
    Any ideas?

cheers,
    Paul

So, let see

devkitPro installs things by default in c:\devkitPro, so devkitARM is located in c:\devkitPro\devkitARM, libnds in c:\devkitPro\libnds and MSYS in c:\devkitPro\msys

According with your preferences, you should have a dir tree like this:
    Code:
    g:\devkitARM\
    g:\devkitARM\devkitARM
    g:\devkitARM\libnds
    g:\devkitARM\msys
    As far as I can see, you have some problems with msys too, in fact it does not recognise "tr". Just check if your msys is installed and, in case, if g:\devkitARM\msys\bin is in your PATH

About the build.bat, stated that all is installed, something like that should work:

Code:
    @echo off

set path=G:\arm-gba-fpc\bin\arm-gba;g:\lazarus\fpc\2.2.3\bin\i386-win32;%PATH%

make OS_TARGET=gba CPU_TARGET=arm BINUTILSPREFIX=arm-eabi- PP=ppcarm.exe
    pause
    The devkitPro installer sets a couple of environment variables too (DEVKITARM=/c/devkitPro/devkitARM and DEVKITPRO=/c/devkitPro), so check them both

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast