You're missing out if you've not played some of the x-com games! The style is straightforward enough (based on memory, since I've not played the game in about 6 years or more): there are two sections to it -- a map view and actual combat. You control a bunch of people that want to stop nasty aliens (IIRC), so you get a squad of troops, some weapons and some vehicles. You respond to UFO sightings by sending over your vehicle + troops to investigate the situation. If you catch the enemy in time then it moves into the combat sequence.

The combat sequence is an isometric view, turn-based, and has line of sight (so if you move your trooper against a window, for example, he'll be able to see further but may be visible to the enemy). It's good stuff, especially the grenades and other big weapons. It reminds me a little of Rebelstar 2 for the zx spectrum (showing my age, perhaps...).

You can salvage stuff after a combat mission and you can perform autopsies of dead alien creatures to learn more. C'est good.

----

So, I take it from Eriken's idea that the Hill Street Blues part would be the actual combat sequence, with a view of the city/what have you. Although perhaps performing autopsies on criminals might be a little macabre .

You could include stuff like smoke grenades and such-like (perhaps setting the action slightly in the future so that the weapons could be more dramatic).

Have you done any work on this yet Eriken? :?: