Yes, the X-Com days were cool, sort of made a mess of school at some point ;-) Sad how they managed to make the follow-ups of the first game worse every time they tried.

Never tried RebelStar 2, which apparently is a shame.. I've still got a Spectrum or 2 in a closet somewhere ;-)

So, the first (and best in my opinion) X-Com game is like Alimonster described.

And Hill Street Blues is more like you've got this permanent overview (topdown) of the city and can send the 9 cops you've got control over to different places to arrest criminals. And the criminals start of easy as muggers or something and I'm not sure yet where they end up, but robbing banks and stuff is possible and you can block of streets and call in SWAT and things like that :-) It's rather few options in controlling the cops around.

More info here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId,6375/

How to mix these things I'm not sure of yet, since X-Com is a "global" game, and HSB is just a "one city" game.. stopping crime all over the world is probably abit of an overkill "10000 crimes at this time, please fix!" But i've got loads of ideas which isn't really thought through very well..

Although perhaps performing autopsies on criminals might be a little macabre
Hehe, I wouldn't really do that either, but you could always have the option to research the newest "criminal-weapons" in order to do things like improving your own weapons, armor (on vehicles etc) and so on..

(perhaps setting the action slightly in the future so that the weapons could be more dramatic).
Or do a "Empire Earth" thing with going through all the epoches. :twisted:
"Ron the Caveman runs after a mugger and throws stones at him".. Oh well, maybe not ;-)

Have you done any work on this yet Eriken?
I haven't done anything besides giving it a thought or 2, it would be fun to see an X-com-like game again though.
_____
Eriken