Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2009 - Questions about rules and judging

PGD Annual 2009 - Questions about rules and judging

If you've got questions about rules and judging decisions, please post in this thread.

Original question:
    Quick question: I am working alone, but I know of a place to get music (that is licensed properly, legal etc); but since I'm not working in a team (just myself), would I be allowed to use it or would I have to create my own?

I also don't fully understand BP #3. Would we just check for a keypress that simulates entering a coin?

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Questions to AthenaOfDelphi and the judges

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    Quick question: I am working alone, but I know of a place to get music (that is licensed properly, legal etc); but since I'm not working in a team (just myself), would I be allowed to use it or would I have to create my own?

I also don't fully understand BP #3. Would we just check for a keypress that simulates entering a coin?
    Yes, thats absolutely correct. Press a key, add a credit and press 1 UP
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Blog Entries

Posting questions

If you have a general question about the rules etc. relating to the competition, please post it here. If you have a question directed to one of the judges, please be sure to clearly state the judges name (or names) in the subject of the post (e.g. Question to ....).

If you have other concerns/questions about the competition please contact me directly by mail on athena at outer hyphen reaches dot com. Be sure to include PGD2009 in the subject of your mail.

I'm missing a more specific definition of Bonus 3 Cabinet Ready. Are we just meant to let the players choose which keys to use or is there more to it?

About rule 1.ii
    Does that mean you're allowed to use gamepads or do the game has to support keyboards? I suspect that if you want to get Bonus 2 the keyboard would be crowded.

Note:- The control limits do NOT apply to arcade style buttons such as START, 1 PLAYER, 2 PLAYER etc. However, these 'extra' controls should not be operable during play, except to allow a second player to join the game for example.
    Does that mean that the game isn't allowed to have a pause button?

And the last question for now, are you allowed to submit more than one game?
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio
    I'm missing a more specific definition of Bonus 3 Cabinet Ready. Are we just meant to let the players choose which keys to use or is there more to it?
    The rules contain a more complete definition of the bonus points.

About rule 1.ii
    Does that mean you're allowed to use gamepads or do the game has to support keyboards? I suspect that if you want to get Bonus 2 the keyboard would be crowded.

Note:- The control limits do NOT apply to arcade style buttons such as START, 1 PLAYER, 2 PLAYER etc. However, these 'extra' controls should not be operable during play, except to allow a second player to join the game for example.
    Does that mean that the game isn't allowed to have a pause button?
    You can use game pads, but you should aim to minimise the number of controls that are available to the player during gameplay. The most controls I've seen on an arcade cabinet is 6 plus a 4 way joystick. The idea is to get an arcade feel to the game. In terms of multiple players... you are absolutely right, the keyboard would get very crowded... but, that does not mean you should lose points if you only provide keyboard controls for additional players. If you can support multiple joypads it's a bonus and would make the game more enjoyable.

And the last question for now, are you allowed to submit more than one game?
    No. You can only enter the competition with one team and it's one submission per team.

erm, maybe this is a stupid question (tm) , but I can't figure out how to enter a team on the compo site?

I have had a good look around, but all I can find is the rules, judges, etc. and the teams already added...

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    erm, maybe this is a stupid question (tm) , but I can't figure out how to enter a team on the compo site?

I have had a good look around, but all I can find is the rules, judges, etc. and the teams already added...

cheers,
    Paul
    If you made your own team you seem to join it automatically. Otherwise, you need the leader of the team to invite you.

Sorry, I meant I wanted to create a team myself...how can I do this?

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    Sorry, I meant I wanted to create a team myself...how can I do this?

cheers,
    Paul
    Left hand sidebar "My teams" -> Textbox @ type a name -> hit the Create team button

And, actually, your not automatically entered in the compo . After you create your team you then have to go to the competition home page, you will notice a drop down with your teams name in it and a button to the right that says join (or something similar don't remember). CLICK THE BUTTON!

Once you click that your in the competition

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast