Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2009 - Competition site questions/comments

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Competition site questions/comments

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    Won't accept mine xD tried winrar and 7zip; neither produced a zip your site liked. Tried with the filename containing underscores and without underscores. Filesize is 400kb; quite a bit less than the 24mb limit.

(Tried both lowercase and uppercase extension (zip) just to be sure too)

And it looks to me that zip is allowed
    Ok, the system picks up the mime type of the file. It could be that Winrar and 7zip generate slightly different mime signatures. I'll look into adding some error reporting where the mime type is wrong so that it includes the mime type it received in the error. That way I can add the additional mime types that may be generated.

Please subscribe to this thread, and I'll post when I've made the changes to the upload routine. Then you can try again. Capture the error message and send it to me so I can add the missing mime types.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Blog Entries

I have added reporting of the mime type to the error message. When you attempt to upload an archive, if it fails with 'is not a valid/acceptable archive format' messsage, make a note of the exact reported mime type. And send me a mail (instructions in the 'Bugs' seciton of the competition site), I'll review the problem and if a fix is needed, I'll get it sorted.

As a consequence of testing this, I'm about to add the WinRAR mime type application/x-rar to the list.

You may get a daytime job on these mime types. A bug report is on its way...
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

No way to upload my design document. I have zipped it with both 7zip (as zip archive) and windows "send to compressed folder", rar-ed with rar.exe and tar.gz-ed. These are the MIME types reported:

Reported MIME type - application/x-zip
    Reported MIME type - application/gzip
    Reported MIME type - application/rar

EDIT: Dunno why, but I have tried with IE instead of ffox and it worked.
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Ok,
    I think I've uploaded my gdd. I used 7zip and didn't get any warnings but a "Upload succeded" message.

Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    No way to upload my design document. I have zipped it with both 7zip (as zip archive) and windows "send to compressed folder", rar-ed with rar.exe and tar.gz-ed. These are the MIME types reported:

Reported MIME type - application/x-zip
    Reported MIME type - application/gzip
    Reported MIME type - application/rar

EDIT: Dunno why, but I have tried with IE instead of ffox and it worked.
    The three mime types you reported weren't in the acceptable list. Now they are :-)

There are a plethora of different mime types being reported for the same file type, so I would suggest that everyone who hasn't already done so tries uploading their zipped up design. If you leave it until 5 minutes before the deadline, then you may not be able to upload it.

On this subject, Google Chrome appears to think it's better off not reporting the mime type it's upload. Quite why that should be, I don't know. So try an alternative browser if you experience problems.

On the subject of whether your upload was successful, there is now a section at the bottom of the competition page which lists your stage uploads. You can check there whether your file was uploaded correctly.

Great job Christina
    cheers,
    Paul

Yes now it works...

But you only get a message once that your archive is uploaded with succes. On a next visit there is no evidence that you already have uploaded an archived design document.
    Some feedback on that would be nice...
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    Yes now it works...

But you only get a message once that your archive is uploaded with succes. On a next visit there is no evidence that you already have uploaded an archived design document.
    Some feedback on that would be nice...
    On the subject of whether your upload was successful, there is now a section at the bottom of the competition page which lists your stage uploads. You can check there whether your file was uploaded correctly.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

A have a little question:

I see a "Withdraw from competition" link on the competition page. Does it ask for confirmation? Would be a shame if someone accidently clicked it.

And no, I don't feel like trying myself.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast