Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pascal Gamer Issue 1

Re: Pascal Gamer Issue 1

Looks awesome, loved the part about commercial game development. Great work WILL...

Well I got a new PDF reader and sat down for a long time. This was an extremely good read, and I hope issues continue to be made. What was mentioned about the commercial aspect of creating games was useful, but I had already read something quite similar to it in the past so it was nothing new. (If I ever create games for money, it'll be a small shareware game not going through any publisher)

I'm not sure how many people went into the making of this, but there should be some more editing . Simple mistakes like misspelled words (Ex: "llowed" missing an "a"; "independant" instead of "independent"), "it's" used for possession, not much else.

Congrads WILL and all that contributed.

Need to find the time read it tough.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

loved the data structures article
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Really great job.
    Looking forward to the next issue.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries

Thank you for all your comments. I'm glad that you guys enjoy. There will be a next issue, and it will be all about the PGD Annual. Well not just about it alone, but it'll be the main feature and have a huge coverage of the event!

Everyone is welcome to contribute to the mag. And I'm hoping to have quite a few more games to review.

The VERY loose release date for the next issue will be sometime around October 2009.

Just a few things about writing for Pascal Gamer:

If you would like to write for the next issue of Pascal Gamer magazine, drop me a line. The first issue stands as an example of what the second one will be like. I accept Word .doc or OpenOffice .odt formats. If you are able to provide all of your screenshots, clip art, photos. (I like to have a photo or avatar for each author, if you don't provide one I'll most likely take from yours here on PGD) The biggest need for the magazine however is ORIGINAL works. Straight reprints are useless things to put into the magazine as you can just go to the website or blog from which it was originally posted instead. It takes a little bit of work to make this magazine work.

As stated before my email is jkamcmillen@hotmail so send all your articles and requests to me there and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Is there a limit of an article's length? What if I wanted to write a series?

WILL: I did try to read the magazine using an e-book and it was a nightmare. It was toooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooow. I don't know if you can do something to make it faster and easer to read. May be it's so slow because it has a lot of pictures.

The e-book I used can render EPUB files, wich is similar than ODF format (and open AFAIK). It also renders HTML documents, including pictures and some CSS, and "compiled help".

Just a suggestion, you know.
    No signature provided yet.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    Is there a limit of an article's length? What if I wanted to write a series?
    A series would be great. If you could get me a series of articles I could publish them in succession. Keep in mind that each issue's publication date is about 3 - 4 months apart so there would be some time between issues. This gives you a bit of time to write and me a bit of time to edit in all into the mag and make it look all pretty.

As for length a good rule of thumb is to write almost twice as many pages as you intend on being published. That is considering you are using standard font at about 12pt size. diagrams, code and other illustrations and screenshots will need space, but as you can see I can easily deal with about a half page of space with some fun little factoids or an extra bonus bit of information related to the article being edited. (Plus I plan on fitting in my own little piece 'Did you know?' in each issue. )

Anyhow once I get the .doc or .odt file I can open it look it over and ask for more or have you spruce it up a bit. Or if grammar needs correcting I can do that myself.

If you want to write for the mag just have a read-through the first issue and see what sections you can write for:

Feature: You can write a feature for a future issue, but usually this is the biggest part of the issue so it'll involve a lot of work. (And next issue is taken up by the PGD Annual)

The Code Block: Anything programming related or to do with code. All things welcome!

Project Highlights: Talk about a library, game engine, compiler, script engine or other such related projects.

Special Report: This is more of the industry/community side of things, special events, opinions on tools, companies, overall development, etc...

Game Reviews: I will pick out a handful of games to be reviewed so if you would like to do one and think that you have th time drop me a line and I can send you the game and the specifications for that game. You can also suggest a game for review too if it is fairly new and, of course, made with Pascal.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Ok, thanks for the info.

Btw, the mag site seems to be down. :-/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast