Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux Dev's

Re: Linux Dev's

I have a Fedora 10 installation and use it actively. While I do most of my development on Windows XP I try to make all my programs portable accross as many platforms as possible. I can compile all of my projects under Linux, though due to certain undeveloped parts of code I don't have full functionality for certain things (like mouse). I am intending to improve the Linux portion of my code to include the missing functionality, hopefully in near future. I do intend to develop for MAC also, and it should not be a major problem to port.

All my game projects are based on OpenGL and OpenAL. My own engine as well as my networking code, and all other components I use are portable.
    Existence is pain

I have Ubuntu 9.04 (32 - bit) installed on my laptop and Ubuntu 9.04 (64 - bit) on my stationary PC. I always try to make a linux port of my games available.

My primary development environment is Mac OS though where I have a nice cross-compiler-setup to Win32. I use Windows, Linux and Mac OS on a daily basis.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

I only use Linux. My project (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...p?topic=4559.0) is multiplatform, but I can generate a windows .exe through fpc cross-compiler and test it under wine.
    Developer of Mundo Project - http://sourceforge.net/projects/gamemundo/

Linux coding is my primary hobby, but I'd never do programming for a job (too much stress). I use Object Pascal (for OpenGL stuff), Haskell (for Project Euler), and C (for everything else). I find it easier to work on small projects, which is probably why I'll never finish something as complex as a game. My latest work is a GIMP plugin which I'm just about to release.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

So far I've been using XP and Vista. I'd like to try linux + FPC though. Which distribution do you guys recommend?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    So far I've been using XP and Vista. I'd like to try linux + FPC though. Which distribution do you guys recommend?
    I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and FPC is included in the software channels. So far I've been using it and I have no troubles.

Which distribution do you guys recommend?
    It doesn't really matter. The most popular one is Ubuntu. Debian and Slackware are pretty popular, too, and have been around for a long time. I use Zenwalk. Go to DistroWatch.com and read the descriptions. You have more power to do things in Linux, but more power to mess things up. There's no hand-holding like in MacOSX and Windows, although the community tends to be very helpful.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PJP Dev
    I'd recommend Ubuntu. It's easy to set up and FPC is included in the software channels. So far I've been using it and I have no troubles.
    What about Lazarus and Kubuntu?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, I never tried Kubuntu, but it seems KDE is far better than Gnome. At work I use Ubuntu, but I find that there are still lots of things missing in the window manager that I can do with windows. For example: I cannot copy folder from my home dir to some system dir. It juist says I don't have privileges. So why doesn't it popup a message box that asks for my password?... So to make things short: It ook me 3 min to find out how to copy a dir to an other dir in total (not copying). So I would say Gnome suck. Big-time. I used KDE before and I think it did the pop-up to ask for a password... don't remember though.... Maybe OpenSuse is the way to go...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    Well, I never tried Kubuntu, but it seems KDE is far better than Gnome. At work I use Ubuntu, but I find that there are still lots of things missing in the window manager that I can do with windows. For example: I cannot copy folder from my home dir to some system dir. It juist says I don't have privileges. So why doesn't it popup a message box that asks for my password?... So to make things short: It ook me 3 min to find out how to copy a dir to an other dir in total (not copying). So I would say Gnome suck. Big-time. I used KDE before and I think it did the pop-up to ask for a password... don't remember though.... Maybe OpenSuse is the way to go...
    Naw, just go with Kubuntu (no, not a misspelling) It's Ubuntu but with KDE instead of Gnome.

Exact same support I'm told, I just wanted confirmation that Lazarus has no issues with it...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast