Thread: 16:9 display and aspect ratio

16:9 display and aspect ratio

Hello,

I noticed that 16:9 aspect ratio is somewhat ~1,777777778 and if I calculate width for the 768 height with that aspect ratio it's something like 1365,33333 (768 * aspect). Rounded that will be 1365. Okey, then final resolution would be 1365x768.

But now I'm wondering why it's so?? The HD-standard and WXGA native resolution is 1366!?! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WXGA).

If I look my display adapter (nVidia) settings for the resolutions, it would give me to change both of those resolutions (1365 x 768 and 1366 x 76.

For example if I set not scaled 768 pixels height resolution for 16:10 display it would be 768 * aspect ratio (which is ~1,6666666), then width would be ~1279,9 and that's rounded to 1280 which is correct.

Also for example if I set not scaled 768 pixels height resolution for 4:3 display (1,3333 aspect ratio) it would be 768 * 1,3333 =~1023,999 which is rounded to 1024.

So, the question is: which one is the 'correct' width for the 16:9 display on 768 height resolution, 1365 (which is calculated by aspect ratio) or 1366 (which is de-facto standard, but incorrect for ratio)??

Edit: and I'm just phondering this because I liked to choose width which is most supported by display adapters.
    - In a world without the wall and fences, who will need the Gates and Windows.

Re: 16:9 display and aspect ratio

There is 1360x768 for my desktop resolution. However 1280 is definitely more commonly supported.

Game resolutions always jump from 1280 straight to 1600.

Re: 16:9 display and aspect ratio

Yes, I have also a 1360 in display settings, but, but....

The thing is that, I'm setting my game to use 1024x768 sized backbuffer for fullscreen mode (for the speed reasons, because it has made only using Windows GDI). So, the game resolution is locked to that and I don't want it to be streched when display device is something else than 4:3 ratio as the game resolution is.

I'm also trying to take a count 16:10 and 16:9 ratio display devices and set the game letterboxed to the center of the display device (might be a HD-TV for example).

That's why I try to calculate not streched mode for each one of those different display devices with 768 pixel height resolution and as near as possible width with that 1024.

Of course it doesn't matter what the width of the screen resolution is, as long as it is 1024 or more and the height is 768. I could strech the drawing surface (window) over the display area (whatever the width is) and then render backbuffer to the center of that. Then it's letterboxed no matter of width.

But still I like to set the resolution as near as possible to 1024 width to make game cover the most of the display area, and not to strech it to any direction.

That's why I'm phondering those aspect ratios.

I also noticed that, in my laptop, which has 16:10 ratio 17" display and native resolution is 1680x1050. The 16 divided by 10 gives exact 1.6 aspect ratio (as does 1680/1050 too). But when 768 is multiplied with 1.6 it gives something like ~1228 and that is not correct (or yes, yes it's correct for the display device but...). There's no that kind of resolution to set in display adapter settings. But there's 1280 by 768 which can be calculated by setting aspect ratio to 1,666 and round result to up. It will be somehow streched mode, but not noticeable.

My conclusion is that display devices aspect ratios and display adapters actual resolutions doesn't match or some sort of standard is breaking the law of hardware itself (like that 1366 wide display mode on 16:9 ratio device which actually should be, in my opinion, 1365 wide display mode). The difference is not big, but anyway it's difference and that's not correct.

Exception is 4:3 displays which has accurate display ratio and aspect ratio. It gives correct resolutions every time no matter how they are calculated and twisted each to another. Only downside is displaying them on widescreen device.

In 3D that's no problem at all, but in 2D....

But my problem is solved by this. Back to the code so I can finish my game (updating it's status soon on 'your projects' section )
    - In a world without the wall and fences, who will need the Gates and Windows.