Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pascal binding for Horde3D engine

Pascal binding for Horde3D engine

Slowly but surely my friends and me are starting to create games for newer graphic cards. We are currently looking open source engines for some good ideas for our new home-brew engine. Horde3D looked like really nice basic framework for us, so we wrote Pascal binding for some testing before we start developing from ground up.

If you are interested, you can check out Horde3D and Pascal binding with one quick 'n' dirty translated example.

Re: Pascal binding for Horde3D engine

Really interesting. Nice work.

I'm personally not that much of a fan of Horde3D for a couple of reasons:
    - Relatively high system requirements especially for laptops (the engine only works on newer laptop hardware with dedicated graphics card, my older laptops had problems even though OpenGL 2.0 was supported)
    - Not cross-platform enough for my taste (Windows is the only platform which is 100% supported, Linux usually works and Mac OS might probably work, but has not been officially tested by the developer team)
    - There is little to none backward compability to earlier versions
    - The documentation of Horde3D is not always up-to-date
    - I'm quite unsure about the future of Horde3D or if it can establish itself against the strong competition of Irrlicht, Ogre3D, Unity, Vision, etc.

From what I've seen of the Pascal binding (just took a like at the source, because I'm not under Windows at the moment, but I will compile it for myself later) I like how much there has already been done.

Btw: There is an updated GLFW binding (version 2.6, see my signature) or check out the SVN of GLFW (version 2.7) which also has the option of linking statically when FreePascal is being used.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Hey homes you need to clean your Delphi install of the virus . Ran a scan and sure enough it has the proper signature and thus anyone with Delphi installed will be infected by your app if they run it. Granted this "virus" isn't destructive, but it is something you should be keeping an eye out for since its a known vlun in Delphi (and any compiler for that matter) itself.

More details at: http://www.sophos.com/blogs/sophoslabs/?p=6117

- Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Hey homes you need to clean your Delphi install of the virus .
    I can confirm this, I also got a virus alert with AntiVir.

As for the demo, I recompiled it with FreePascal 2.2.2 and it is running really smooth, but the benchmark wouldn't show up after I started the application with the parameter '-bm'.
    Would be nice to see if there is a noticable performance difference between the Pascal sample and the C++ sample. (There won't probably be any difference.)
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Just a small fix in demo application (-bm switch is now working - link in first post is updated).

BTW we have new Delphi 2010 installation on new computer, and still some antiviruses report exe as infected... so it's only source files are distributed.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5atzjmmjlig/Horde3D.zip

Blog Entries
    The files you uploaded don't exist there anymore. So much for public file hosting huh? Did you want to post your old project using our new file attachment system so that it'll stay here forever? That is if you kept your project around still.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have those files still on my computer. If Srki_82 doesn't object I could upload it on my webspace.

Blog Entries
    Or you can attach them to this thread in a reply post too I believe. Just go to Advanced mode and click on the "manage attachments" button below and you can upload with that. Max size limit for a zip files is 500kb though. How big are the wrappers?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Max size limit for a zip files is 500kb though. How big are the wrappers?
    The units itself are relatively small, but the ZIP file also includes the Horde3D Knight demo written in Pascal with all its assets which brings the size of the zipped file to 2.6 MB.

Blog Entries
    Tell you what, email them to me at contact@pascalgamer.com and I'll edit and attach them to Srki_82's original post.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast