Thread: Best Cart for NDS(lite/i) development?

Best Cart for NDS(lite/i) development?

Ok, got my son a DSLite for XMas and got to looking at the Homebrew scene for it. Seems that there are a LOT of carts on the market. Most (ACEKard, R4, R6, K6, DSTTi, Edge, etc) seem to be based on using an SD(HC) card for the games. The AceKard R.P.G. seems to be the most advanced in that it has built in NAND memory for the closest thing to a real cart you can develop on and still supports the SD(HC) card if you need it.

I can't find much information on the iEdge card (looks like it isn't shipping until Jan so maybe this is why) and there are many many more. So, what seems to be the best card for Homebrew development on the NDS Lite and i Systems?

I don't mind spending the extra if the R.P.G. is the best, but I just can't seem to find a solid answer .

PS: I noticed that dealextreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/) has a lot of these things with really low prices ($8US to $20 for most with the RPG in at $65). Is this the best price on the net for them, or are there better places? So far we have had great luck when ordering from them and they always have a ton of hard to find parts

- Jeremy

Re: Best Cart for NDS(lite/i) development?

You should also investigate if the cards do work with the nds lite. Rumor tells that some cards work on the normal ds but not on the ds lite. Dont know if this is true. Currently i use a r4 with my ds, before that i used a m3 with that m3 it was almost impossible to hold the ds with things sticking out in the back and front of the ds.
    In the netherlands you can find the r4 being sold on the weekmarket next to the vegetable stands :-) Dont remember what i paid for it but was is under the 10 euros.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

The Acekard is the best card on the market and It is the only one that has an open source firmware.
    The original R4 is a good and and widespread card, and because that, the market has been invaded by millions of clones.
    Both cards are good for NDS homebrewing, so: 65 or 10 bucks? I would go for 10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintend...torage_devices
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

I'm using one of these iTouch DS cards which needs an extra micro-SD card for storage. I bought it on dealextreme for about 10 Euros (including shipping) and haven't had any problems even though I read in a few forums it is supposed to be a low-quality card.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.