Thread: Viewing variables and properties while debugging

Viewing variables and properties while debugging

Hey guys

I would like to be able to view properties and variables during debugging in lazarus but I haven't succeeded yet. I've tried enabeling dwarf debug information (-gw) but after doing that, the debugger ignored my breakpoints (they turned green).

Can someone help me with this?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Re: Viewing variables and properties while debugging

Afaik propertys arent supported by gdb as they are pascal specific, thus you cant view them, neither can you check results from functions in the gdb.

Amnoxx

Oh, and this code appears to be an approximate replacement for return(random() & 0x01);

Phoenix Wiki
    http://www.phoenixlib.net/

Phoenix Forum
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/viewforum.php?f=71

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar

any local variables can normally be hovered over in the code window to see it's value. Be sure that in your compiler settings you're not using an optimization level that is not debugger friendly.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Blog Entries

Wow I can't believe I haven't responded to this yet. Use Ctrl+F7 while you are stepping through your code.

You can also find this in the menu under 'Run' - > 'Evaluate/Modify...'

You can then use the window that pops up to 'evaluate' you code and it'll return values of your variables. This all depends on where you are in your code so you may have to pass values to parameters if you are finding that your bug appears inside of a function or procedure, but overall the process is the same.

You'll also find that just moving your mouse over the variable (as long as it's not a huge array or set) also is an easy way to 'peek' at whats inside. Laz has come a LONG way in debugging features it's getting at least almost to where Delphi 7 was.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for bringing this thread back up. I'm gonna check this out soon. I'd like to get into lazarus more. Gives me a reason to boot linux and learn about cross-platform development.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.