Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quantum-engine.com

Re: quantum-engine.com

I didn't find it clear, but I guess I should be doing the project creation and compiling in the Quantum IDE itself?

The new project compiles there, but not in Delphi...makes sense I guess

If I want to play around with the example projects source code and recompile, I need to load them into the Quantum IDE as well?

cheers,
    Paul

Hi,

Yea the examples need to be compiled from the IDE. At a later time I plan to expose the API and supply bindings for Pascal and maybe C++. For now I'm trying to get the light-weight IDE solid and usable.

I'm gonna see if I can get binding to a .dfm working, for the next beta release.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Davis
    Hi,

Yea the examples need to be compiled from the IDE. At a later time I plan to expose the API and supply bindings for Pascal and maybe C++. For now I'm trying to get the light-weight IDE solid and usable.

I'm gonna see if I can get binding to a .dfm working, for the next beta release.
    No worries

I didn't realise I needed the IDE to compile at the time, sorry for any inconvenience

I will have a fiddle...perhaps I will make a demo with it!

cheers,
    Paul

Cool!

Thanks
    Jarrod Davis

Hi Jarrod,
    I have to admit, there is ONE feature of your nice IDE that I miss from Delphi/Lazarus...

Typing in a class/record or similar variable, typing '.', and then getting a list of properties/methods, etc.

I'm not sure what that is called actually, not code completion as I once thought

Oh, yeah, another thing - I know I can make a blank new project in the IDE, but is there any way of making a blank Demo project without copying a sample, and deleting whole bunches of code?

cheers,
    Paul

Hey Paul

I call these things PainPoints(tm), hehe. As I'm using the IDE and run across a feature that MUST be in there and just a pain to use without will get added to my must-do list. I found it hard to work without this too having gotten so use to it in Delphi. This is what I have working at the moment:

If you press Ctrl+Space it will bring up a code completion window (just the QE classes and methods for now), as you type it will narrow down the search. So If you type:

QE.Test then hit Ctrl+Space it will bring up a code completion list with all methods/routines with Test in it. You can then pick QE.TestCase. Now when you type ( it will then show the param hint for this method.

What I have working also is code templates. If you type:

be, then hit Ctrl+J will replace be with a begin/end block. There is a fairly complete list already. So if a code template item is at the cursor it will be replaced with the code template, if not then the list will be displayed.

I've added a dev feature to add more items in the code completion/param hint list by simply updating the list file and it will parse, skip the ones that are already formatted, format the new stuff and update the file. So to add this new method:

procedure ThisIsANewMethod(aMsg: string; aArgs: array of const);

it will parse this and update both the code completion and hints list. Now I just have to add support for new code typed into the editor. But as of now (version 1.0.2) Ctrl+J will bring up the code template list and Ctrl+Space will bring up the code completion list.

I just got support for consuming .dfm files. The next build (version 1.0.3) will have this support. Future builds will allow you to create the forms. You will be able to add this in your source:

{$DFM uOptionsForm.dfm}

The form will get added to the EXEs resource section. When a TForm instance is created with a name that matches this DFM it will be loaded in associated with the form instance. Coming will be the ability to create these forms as well. So if all goes will there will be no longer a need for the DemoUtils.dll. in the next build. Cool stuff coming.
    Jarrod Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Davis
    Hey Paul

I call these things PainPoints(tm), hehe. As I'm using the IDE and run across a feature that MUST be in there and just a pain to use without will get added to my must-do list. I found it hard to work without this too having gotten so use to it in Delphi. This is what I have working at the moment:

If you press Ctrl+Space it will bring up a code completion window (just the QE classes and methods for now), as you type it will narrow down the search. So If you type:

QE.Test then hit Ctrl+Space it will bring up a code completion list with all methods/routines with Test in it. You can then pick QE.TestCase. Now when you type ( it will then show the param hint for this method.

What I have working also is code templates. If you type:

be, then hit Ctrl+J will replace be with a begin/end block. There is a fairly complete list already. So if a code template item is at the cursor it will be replaced with the code template, if not then the list will be displayed.

I've added a dev feature to add more items in the code completion/param hint list by simply updating the list file and it will parse, skip the ones that are already formatted, format the new stuff and update the file. So to add this new method:

procedure ThisIsANewMethod(aMsg: string; aArgs: array of const);

it will parse this and update both the code completion and hints list. Now I just have to add support for new code typed into the editor. But as of now (version 1.0.2) Ctrl+J will bring up the code template list and Ctrl+Space will bring up the code completion list.

I just got support for consuming .dfm files. The next build (version 1.0.3) will have this support. Future builds will allow you to create the forms. You will be able to add this in your source:

{$DFM uOptionsForm.dfm}

The form will get added to the EXEs resource section. When a TForm instance is created with a name that matches this DFM it will be loaded in associated with the form instance. Coming will be the ability to create these forms as well. So if all goes will there will be no longer a need for the DemoUtils.dll. in the next build. Cool stuff coming.
    Thanks Jarrod

cheers,
    Paul

Oh, yeah, another thing - I know I can make a blank new project in the IDE, but is there any way of making a blank Demo project without copying a sample, and deleting whole bunches of code?
    Do you mean being able to create and load code templates? Such as you coded a basic game loop that you can use over again, being able to save this to a template and when you create a new project, you can then pick this template? This is not yet possible. The next build of 1.0.3 beta will allow you to save/load your workspace (ie project groups).

One way you can get started right away is follow the examples and inherit your project from TDemoTestCase overriding the needed methods.

Let me know more about just what your looking for.

Thanks
    Jarrod Davis

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    Hi Jarrod,
    I have to admit, there is ONE feature of your nice IDE that I miss from Delphi/Lazarus...

Typing in a class/record or similar variable, typing '.', and then getting a list of properties/methods, etc.
    Paul, this is definitely possible in Lazarus.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2rr43yb.png

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    Hi Jarrod,

Paul, this is definitely possible in Lazarus.
    http://i49.tinypic.com/2rr43yb.png
    Thanks dazappa, but we are talking about the Quantum Engine IDE, which doesn't have this facility yet

cheers,
    Paul

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast