Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: quantum-engine.com

Re: quantum-engine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Davis
    Oh, yeah, another thing - I know I can make a blank new project in the IDE, but is there any way of making a blank Demo project without copying a sample, and deleting whole bunches of code?
    Do you mean being able to create and load code templates? Such as you coded a basic game loop that you can use over again, being able to save this to a template and when you create a new project, you can then pick this template? This is not yet possible. The next build of 1.0.3 beta will allow you to save/load your workspace (ie project groups).

One way you can get started right away is follow the examples and inherit your project from TDemoTestCase overriding the needed methods.

Let me know more about just what your looking for.

Thanks
    I guess I wasn't thinking of templates, but an addition to the new... file options - a blank demo project.

This would create a bare bones demo class unit which is used by the blank demo project, and is run using the usual run demo command.

here is an example blank demo that might have been created:

[pascal]
    {================================================= ==============================
    Quantum Engine‚Ѣ - Advanced 2D Game Engine for Windows¬Ć PC
    Copyright ¬© 2009-2010 Quantum Event‚Ѣ Games
    All Rights Reserved.

email : quantumengine@quantumeventgames.com

See LICENSE.TXT for license information.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

================================================== =============================}

{@PROJECTINFO START}
    {@EXENAME "UntitledDemo.exe"}
    {@EXETYPE CONSOLE}
    {@EXEICON "..\Resources\QuantumEngine.ico"}
    {@BUILDALLUNITS No}
    {@USERUNTIMEPACKAGES No}
    {@ADDVERSIONINFO YES}
    {@INCBUILDNUM NO}
    {@VICOMPANYNAME "Quantum Event‚Ѣ Games"}
    {@VIFILEVERSION 1.0.0.0}
    {@VIFILEDESCRIPTION "UntitledDemo Demo"}
    {@VIINTERNALNAME "UntitledDemo Demo"}
    {@VILEGALCOPYRIGHT "Copyright © 2009-2010, Quantum Event Games"}
    {@VILEGALTRADEMARKS "All Rights Reserved."}
    {@VIORIGINALFILENAME "UntitledDemo.exe"}
    {@VIPRODUCTNAME "UntitledDemo Demo"}
    {@VIPRODUCTVERSION 1.0.0.0}
    {@VICOMMENTS "http://quantumeventgames.com"}
    {@PROJECTINFO END}

program TileGame;

uses
    SysUtils,
    QEApplication,
    QEActor,
    QEAudio,
    QEFonts,
    QEGame,
    QEGraphics,
    QEInput,
    QEMath,
    QEResources,
    QETestCase,
    QEUI,
    QEUtils,
    uUntitledDemoUnit;

begin
    // add your code here
    QE.RunTestCase(TUntitledDemoClass);
    end.

[/pascal]

In the uUntitledDemoUnit there would be a TUntitledDemoClass with the bare bones overridden methods so you can then add to it.

Notice the UntitledDemo has also been added to the top of the .dpr file...

I hope this is clearer?

templates sound neat too though...LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Ah, I misread. I read that as "Quantum has this feature, I wish Lazarus did".

The quantum engine looks interesting, but I'm still wondering if it has any advantage over existing engines/libraries (Specifically, Andorra and SDL as those are two I've worked with).

Ahhh... I see what your saying. Cool, yea I can do this. Great idea. Let me see if I an get this working.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Ahhh... I see what your saying. Cool, yea I can do this. Great idea. Let me see if I an get this working.
    Great! you da man!

cheers,
    Paul

@dazappa

I can only speak for my own product, I've not used the ones you have mentioned. QE has been in continual development the past 7 years. I've used it for all of my personal and shareware projects. It's has grown past just being a library but now can create stand alone 32 bit EXEs. I'm working on an IDE which will eventually include a form designer and other game designers and editors. There is support for local and remote databases, audio engine that supports a variety of audio format, can read in a variety of image formats, etc. Lots of great features in there that I've come to need for my own development needs over the years. It really has a lot of great features. I just need to do more to show case them and I will in the coming weeks. At the moment it's only for Windows PC, but I have an eye for cross platform support down the line.

QE may not be for you depending on your own unique needs. Maybe it will. All I can see is give it a try and judge for yourself. If you have questions/concerns or anything that I can help you with feel free to contact me.
    Jarrod Davis

Hi all,
    I have been fiddling with the Quantum Engine and trying to create a demo - sort of a boulder dash clone with some extra elements in it.

Here is a screenshot:

It doesn't do anything yet, but I'm pleased with the fact that I have gotten the Quantum Engine to do something LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Paul, SWEET!

Glad to see your making progress. I plan to release a new beta build this weekend which will fix a lot of reported errors and add some new features.

BTW I got your request for a blank demo project in and working. Now it can consume .dfm files. Just add {$DFM filename.dfm} in the source. Now, the OptionsForm is now compiled into the EXE rather than having to have rely on the DemoUtils.dll. In a future build you will be able to created the form from within the IDE.

The last major addition to round out the next release will be dynamic loadable modules. Create a new project and set the EXENAME to be a .dlm extension and a DLM will be created. They are DLL like files that can be loaded at run time.
    Jarrod Davis

Paul, SWEET!

Glad to see your making progress. I plan to release a new beta build this weekend which will fix a lot of reported errors and add some new features.

BTW I got your request for a blank demo project in and working. Now it can consume .dfm files. Just add {$DFM filename.dfm} in the source. Now, the OptionsForm is now compiled into the EXE rather than having to have rely on the DemoUtils.dll. In a future build you will be able to created the form from within the IDE.

The last major addition to round out the next release will be dynamic loadable modules. Create a new project and set the EXENAME to be a .dlm extension and a DLM will be created. They are DLL like files that can be loaded at run time.
    Nice! Good work

I'm looking forward to being able to do the record types hopefully without error LOL

That is making my program less easy/efficient than it could be

cheers,
    Paul

Hi Jarrod,
    I took a quick look at QE and it surely does look interesting. Seems very powerfull for 2D games.

However I do have one request/suggestion. Do some documenting!
    For instance, if we look at the documentation for the class TQEActor, the description: "This is class TQEActor" doesn't add much new information. Sure I can guess from the name of classes and members what they do, but it would all be easier with some documentation from the author.

Just a friendly advise.
    Keep up the god work.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

@pstudio

Thanks and you are correct. There has to be completed docs and it's on my to-do list. There is so much "stuff" in QE that the doc project will be HUGE. I may have to hire someone to help out with it. But for sure I'm working on it.
    Jarrod Davis

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast