Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 15th Birthday Delphi!

Re: Happy 15th Birthday Delphi!

We use Delphi 2007 and D010 here at work.

Our main software, Altium Designer (www.altium.com), is written using Delphi...yay!

cheers,
    Paul

Oh, and I started programming around the age of 12 on my trusty old Commodore-64 using Basic, and then some assembly language too

May my C-64 rest in piece

Those WERE the days

cheers,
    Paul

Hmm... let me see... I think I started around 12-13 as well. My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1 followed by the Color Computer (I ended up getting the 1, 2 and 3 models). It was on the CoCo as it was called back then, that I learned how to program. Basic and later some 6809 ASM were my first languages. This was the early 80s. Years later I finally got a PC and crossed path with Turbo Pascal 3.0. No turning back at that point. Yep, indeed those were the days for sure.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Wow.. you guys started early. I wrote my first programs in Delphi 5 when I was 15. Before that i did some HTML + Javascript.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Wow.. you guys started early. I wrote my first programs in Delphi 5 when I was 15.
    It doesn't really matter when you started as long as you put heart in it.

The truth is that some people are actually made for something, and sometimes, even if you try twice as they do to learn more or achieve more, you won't be able to beat them, no matter how long and hard you try.

As long as you feel fine in what you do, there's absolutely no stopping you and it is not important how long you do it. Some people program for 10 years and do stupid mistakes due to routine.

No need to worry, Nathan. Keep up the great work and, what's the most important, in Pascal!

I think I started around 16/17 or so... don't really remember...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    Wow.. you guys started early. I wrote my first programs in Delphi 5 when I was 15.
    It doesn't really matter when you started as long as you put heart in it.

The truth is that some people are actually made for something, and sometimes, even if you try twice as they do to learn more or achieve more, you won't be able to beat them, no matter how long and hard you try.

As long as you feel fine in what you do, there's absolutely no stopping you and it is not important how long you do it. Some people program for 10 years and do stupid mistakes due to routine.

No need to worry, Nathan. Keep up the great work and, what's the most important, in Pascal!
    Thanx.. No worries here eh
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries

Not that it may be worth boosting this thread for, but I actually started programming when I was 13, same time I got my first PC, a 386 DX 25MHz with a whopping 2 MB of RAM and a 1 MB SVGA video card.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Haha.... I rem my first computer... TRS-Model I by Radio Shack. This was in 1979. Doh! Later that Christmas I got the Color Computer I. I learned how to really program on this machine. Interesting enough the CoCo II and III had a multitasking OS from a 3rd party called OS-9 Level I, which ran on the Motorola 6809E CPUs with up to 64K, yep Kilobytes of memory. 64K, what's that? Hehe. Oh yea.... those where the days. Somewhere between the CoCo II and III I purchased a Pascal compiler (forget the name), which was my very first foray with the Pascal language. I do remember on my 32k CoCo there was not enough memory to edit and compile so you had to load the editor, write code and then load the compiler to generate the executable. Son! This was the mid 80s and by 86 I had gotten a PC and found Turbo Pascal.

If I could go back for a day and revisit myself, the excitement and fun of those years.... only my memories can take me back for moments such as this. However, now days having gotten use to all the great tools that's available I would find it very difficult to code like we did back then. Gigabytes of memory, gigahertz processors, virtual memory... whoa... if would could have peaked into the future about 10-15 years to see what was to come. It was have been as foreign to me as it is now looking back on how primitive the dev tools use to be.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

The first programming book I had in my hands was about BASIC (when I was 10). Later, while I was going into the music school, after I finish classes I would go to library and write Pascal programs between notes in my notebooks for music school Then, three years later I bought book about Turbo Pascal and my father got XT 8086 when I was 15. During that time (more than two years), I used to write and write and write programs in Pascal without actually being able to type or compile them. Ahhh.... what a joy was it to test them when I got TP installed!
    blog: http://alexionne.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12