Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gah, where do I start?

Blog Entries

Re: Gah, where do I start?

Big difference between OpenGL and DirectX/3D is that OpenGL operates as a state machine (http://gpwiki.org/index.php/OpenGL:Tutorials:Theory) where as D3D does not. The rest is compatibility requirements and 2 different standards, which may only be preference.

Though hands down SDL is the easiest to start with graphics, but it lacks the advancement of the other 2. However if you do start with SDL moving on to OpenGL is fairly easier than switching right over to Direct3D. In which case you may have wanted to stick with DirectX in the first place. Problem is that DirectX (even just DirectDraw) isn't as easy to start with as SDL is. My 2 cents...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    Before we start a fight on what's better: http://www.gamedev.net/community/for...opic_id=558843
    I never used OpenGL/SDL so I cannot comment on what's better. But for what I heard is that OpenGL 3 Api is not what it should be. Dunno how it's now...
    But I can tell DirectX API is very nice to work with.
    Didn't use OpenGL 3, only OpenGL 1 (AFAIK OGL 2 is OGL 1 + Extensions, isn't it?) so I can't compare.

Using DirectX constrains you to use Microsoft prlatforms only while OpenGL is supported by more platforms, including Microsoft ones.

Anyway, interesting link.
    No signature provided yet.

You can also combine OpenGL with SDL. SDL implements the sound + input + windowing part of your application, while OpenGL provides you with fast HW accellerated graphics. A good combo IMHO.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123