Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donate to PGD!

Re: Donate to PGD!

Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow
    When asked by his nephew about his profanity, Patton remarked, "When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag."

"As for the types of comments I make", he continued with a wry smile, "Sometimes I just, By God, get carried away with my own eloquence."
    Choice of forum software is not really life-or-death situation in which man you quote was, isn't it? I don't think his opinion matters much in this discussion.

Might as well get automotive construction advice from the team behind the 1984 Yugo GV.
    As I am from the country where (in)famous Yugo was made and since it was my first car, and since my good friend and I still drive it, I would laugh with you on this if your tone wasn't so offensive... Well, you still made me laugh :-)

As of the rest of your post, it is clear that you do know lot of web, and you did show number of places where vBulletin's output is not optimal. But I guess that's the price you have to pay if you want to have forum software which does not require you to spend enormous time setting it up, installing plugins, configuring... On top of that, I can just imaging all the features their clients requested to be available out of the box, and I can understand that they had to make some trade-offs between implementing those requests, and trying to maintain as well-formatted output as possible.
    blog: http://alexionne.blogspot.com/

To me it's fine as long as it functions, and makes everyone's life easier. I'm not saying you should use anything, as it still needs to function and be simple. If vBulletin is that, then I say go for it. I'm all for optimization, since I've written my site by hand in notepad2 and have valid CSS and XHTML (not considering the javascript crap that my hosting company puts in), but I believe functionality and simplicity should come first.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries

I have deleted deathshadow's posts due to their blatantly rude and discriminatory contents. If you wish to make a point, do it respectfully or at least diplomatically or simply don't do it at all. If this behaviour continues I'll just start suspending accounts of those who don't respect others on the forums.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

altho he may have stated it in a bad manner, i do agree with him in that vbulletin is a waste of money and resources, it is very bloated, and provides no better features than free alternative softwares.

-Colin
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

Allthough I'm not an expert at webdevelopment, I agree with Colin. I think that there is some truth in the points made by DeathShadow. We might find a better alternative.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

What about this, upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC3 and use SimplePortal or the latest TinyPortal which now works with SMF 2. TP has a button to promote a forum post to the front page. Unless there are other specialized needs, SMF 2.0 RC3 + TinyPortal I think will give you the features needed. As far as other MODs, stick with the higher quality free or paid ones and you should be ok. The new SimpleDesk is a great example of a high quality free addon for SMF.

The one problem I find is when a mod does not confirm to the SMF standard and breaks something or will not install because it's in the wrong order. From my experience using SMF, if you keep the MOD count to a minimum and not go crazy adding them (like you naturally will have a tendency to do once you see how cool and easy it is to add stuff), go with the quality ones then it should be ok. I like SMF because it's just so easy to use with plenty of great MODs (quality free and paid).

What about this, create a test.pascalgamedevelopment.com site, install the different forum software, add the mods that you think will be needed and let the community see if it they like it. Just a suggestion.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

i'd like to know how much the owners are paying for hosting and what specs they get, as i'd like to help out in that department.
    Download the Ziron Assembler
    Get free hosting for Ziron related fan-sites and Ziron projects, contact me in private message.

Blog Entries

Ok I hear what you guys are saying and it does have merit. Truth is so far it's what we've found to be one of the easier alternatives to maintain and setup that will look good. Here is the deal with the site software so that you guys can see if from a full perspective.

Time Limitations: We as admins have a limited amount of time that we can put towards slaving on page tweaks and changes. On top of that the more time we are scrounging and playing catchup looking for bugs we are spending less time organizing competitions, advertising for PGD and other cool events that help make this place fun. Also taking from past experience trying to merge free CMS and forums software to get what we want takes a whole lot more time than something that comes with everything we want.

Reliability: We want the most reliable solution. Merging 2+ pieces of software doesn't come with the promise of working 100% without a lot of work put into them, which as stated above we don't have. If it was designed and tested as working together then it's fair to assume that it should be properly functional with all the features under the hood. The current CMS was the free alternative, but frankly it doesn't work well at all and has some serious bugs that prevent us from being able to do what we need to make this place better.

Our Needs, Out of the Box: So far nothing thats free has ALL of PGD's needs out of the box. We need forums, news posts(by members and staff with staff publishing them), private messaging, member profiles and the ability to easily and quickly write and approve articles. We need it all to work together and be fun to use. Bugs aren't fun and lots of different free stuff with lots of bugs does not a PGD make. And this is the PGD of the past so we clearly want to avoid this from the very next step.

In conclusion to all of this, yes I see that you guys think that vBulletin is a big stompy monster, but it does everything we need. Now I've only used it for a short time, but it doesn't appear to be latent with bugs like SMF and phpBB, but we do have to look into this for ourselves and make sure it will perform properly as we need it. As far as the out of the box, it's the only one that fits our criteria that we know of. However, if you good folks have an alternative that isn't going to be just mash free X with free Y, which is a road we've been down for years now, then we will be willing to check it out.

We do listen and we do care what you guys think, but we also have to do all the work and we just aren't willing to settle for any more mad scientist projects much anymore, we've been there and done that and to be fair, it just isn't working all that well for us or for you guys really.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

In all honesty your better off reaching out for offers for a custom job (which would take some strain off current staff).

I guess it's easier to throw money at the problem, but it's up to you all!!!

Blog Entries

Well the staff is waiting to see who else will be donating towards EVERYTHING we would like to do. New site software is one of those things, the others would be setting up for advertising on other sites, hosting payments and of course setting money aside for the next competition so that unique prize items can be acquired as well. (printed t-shirts, mugs, books, gaming hardware, etc)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast