Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PyroGineび「 Game Engine

PyroGineび「 Game Engine

PyroGine Development is happy to release (v0.3.0) the 2nd public beta release of PyroGine Game Engine. It's an advanced 2D game engine for PC's running Microsoft Windows and uses Direct3D for hardware accelerated rendering. It's robust, designed for easy use and suitable for making all types of 2D games and other graphic simulations.

Changelog:
    • Added API support for standcard C/C++ compilers.
    • Added full OOP support for C++ Builder 2010.
    • TPGObject.CreateFromObj was referenced in PGDatabase but the method was not declared and implemented.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Re: PyroGineび「 Game Engine

PyroGineび「 Game Engine is based around an enhanced COM modal that I'm calling ECOMび「 or Extendable Component Object Modal. COM allows access to classes across the DLL boundary, the extendable specification allows those classes to also be extendable across the DLL boundary. With the ECOM 2.0 spec, I finally got consistent use for all 32bit versions of Delphi (tested down to version 5).

So what does this mean? Even though the whole SDK was written in Delphi 2010, you can use Delphi 6 for example to access and even extended the classes (full OOP) inside the standard win32 DLL on the host side. Full OOP support for C++ Builder 2010 is now in as well as API support for any standard C++ compiler.

Paul Nicholls is currently working on a PyroGine powered game called The Probe.
    Jarrod Davis

Short footage from the AstroBlaster demo included in the distro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWD6C7YEI1I
    Jarrod Davis

Hi Jarrod,

I went to your website earlier to look into your engine and I was kind of surprised to see I have to pay for it. Aren't you afraid to scare potential users? I mean it's not a big sum of cash but still. Why should I buy your product and not go for Asphyre or any of the other free libraries, that seem just as capable for the job?

Mind you I'm just curious to know. I've seen/played the demos and from what I can tell it certainly looks pretty neat.

edit: sorry got names mixed up

@Traveler

PG for me is not a hobby, I have a biz providing middleware solutions and will be also making and selling games. All of which will be sold direct from the site. You do not have to pay for the engine if you do not want to use it in a commercial project as it's free for non-commercial use. If you desire to use it in a commercial setting then a indie friendly Registered Developer License is required.

The good thing about game development today is that there are so many great choices and most are free too. I can only speak for my own products of coarse, PG has all the features out of the box to make a complete 2D game and other graphical simulations. I will not argue that PG is more or less than all the other great solutions out there. I will just say it is what it is and a vision of the sort of rapid game development via a middleware solution that I've strived to develop the past 10+ years.

A few features:[*]Support for all 32 bit versions of Delphi[*]Support for C++[*]API layer for binding to other languages[*]Sprites, Entities, AI, Primitives[*]Database (MySQL remote|locate, SQLite local)[*]Audio (mp3 | wav | ogg | many more)[*]Many, many more great features...

I have not yet had a change to show case all the great features that's available in PG out of the box that makes it, IMHO stand out. I'm working on this however.

Jarrod Davis

Ok fair enough. One area (or perhaps two, with physics) I believe where you could really distinguish yourself from any of the other packages is network support. There have been some questions regarding this in the past, but real working solutions are very hard to come by.

What your opinion on this? Would it be doable?

PS. I've correct the error in my previous post

Hi,

Basic network support is already in. I'm using reliable UDP. There is a persistence object interface included too which combined with the networking layer allows you to send objects (derived from TPGPersistentObject) across the wire. The network layer is lower level so you can build it up to what ever level desired for your project. Looking on my site I think I forgot to mention this. I will get that corrected today.

Physics and scripting are planned as well. I should have scripting in over the next 2-3 days (hopefully).
    Jarrod Davis

Quote Originally Posted by PyroGine Development
    Hi,

Basic network support is already in. I'm using reliable UDP. There is a persistence object interface included too which combined with the networking layer allows you to send objects (derived from TPGPersistentObject) across the wire. The network layer is lower level so you can build it up to what ever level desired for your project. Looking on my site I think I forgot to mention this. I will get that corrected today.

Physics and scripting are planned as well. I should have scripting in over the next 2-3 days (hopefully).
    Networking? Nice!!

cheers,
    Paul

Yup. The networking functionality is in the TPGNet object (PGNetworking unit). You can create your own instance or use the instance already created in the global application object PG.

[code=delphi]// open a local port
    PG.Net.Open(1024);

// send some data
    PG.Net.Send("host name or IP address", 1024, SomeData, SomeDataSize);

// set method to receive data
    PG.Net.ReceiveEvent := MyClass.ReciveEvent;

// receive data
    procedure MyClass.ReceiveEvent(const aHost: TPGString; aPort: Integer; aData: Pointer; aSize: Integer)
    begin
    // process data
    end;[/code]

Data will be buffered and sent out in order and continue to send if there is an error until the timeout limit is reached. You can wrap around this what ever you need for your own projects. For example derive a new class that can serialize a TPGPeristentObject to a memory stream then send this over the wire. The ReceiveEvent is overridden to deserialize the data and recreate the object, thus giving you network object persistence.

In addition to UDP, there are some HTTP and SMTP methods as well:

[code=delphi] { Http }
    function GetHttp(const aUserName, aPassword, aUrl: TPGString): TPGString; virtual;
    function GetHttpResponseText: TPGString; virtual;
    function GetHttpResponseCode: Integer; virtual;
    { Smtp }
    function SendMail(const aMailAgent, aUserName, aPassword, aUserHost, aSubject, aTo, aFrom, aText: TPGString; aPort: Integer): TPGString; virtual;[/code]

Need to post data to a URL and get a response? No problem, just call:
    PG.Net.GetHttp(...)

Need to send out some mail within your app? Again, not a problem, call:
    PG.Net.SendMail(...)

Jarrod Davis

Very nice...I need to figure out an excuse to use the networking!! LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast