Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LD 17. Are you entering? Post your stuff here

LD 17. Are you entering? Post your stuff here

With the theme announced (Islands), who's entering? I've seen a couple messages about this event earlier. And so I thought I'd open a thread for all you competitors to post in. Maybe show some stuff, screenshots, a demo for us to test, etc.

Anyway, I'll be joining too. I just came up with a concept that may be doable within the next 36 (or so) remaining hours. I'm now going to try and get a prototype ready...

Re: LD 17. Are you entering? Post your stuff here

I have to say I don't like that "Islands" theme too much, I was hoping for something less generic. Anyways, my game is called "A Practical Survival Guide for Robots" in which you control a robot and help him survive by collecting electricity, fuel and stuff to repair his crashed space shuttle.

Here is the screenshot I also posted on the Ludum Dare site:
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Well, I'm going to try. Might've gone a bit overambitious though...
    http://imgur.com/2I1Yv.png
    http://imgur.com/Lbogq.png
    http://imgur.com/sGZM3.png

My little procedural engine can generate 1 island of any size. Only problem is, it likes to hang up when you start making the island size larger ;P I've got an idea for a workaround floating in my head, and I'll try to implement after I have some lunch.

Weapons of choice:
    FPC 2.4.0 w/ Lazarus .9.28.3 beta
    Andorra 2D
    SDL_Mixer
    GIMP
    sfxr
    Anvil Studio (run through GXSCC to make boring midi into 8 bit deliciousness)
    Free Audio Editor (because Audacity BSOD's my computer)
    media-convert.com to convert wav to ogg

I've got a working title screen, 1 song, and a couple of sound effects (which seem to have issues playing slightly delayed...)

Alternative builds for other operating systems will be created post-compo. I'll be able to create a linux x86_32 build (and windows x86_32) build, and while there is a Mac in my house, it's a PPC, so I don't know how it would build things :/

Wow... looks promising. Keep 'em goin guys.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries

Ah nice. Well I like robots and I like hex-based tile games(I think it's cooler than your standard square tiles)

Let us know how it all goes.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Well, I'm no where near a game right now. I was kinda hoping I could use Jarrod's engine, but unfortunately I've hit a few bumps along the way. It's nothing serious, and I'm sure it will be solved soon, but it may not be in time for the deadline...

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Well, I'm no where near a game right now. I was kinda hoping I could use Jarrod's engine, but unfortunately I've hit a few bumps along the way. It's nothing serious, and I'm sure it will be solved soon, but it may not be in time for the deadline...
    I know that feeling I was trying to throw in some random tile types to my island generator, but it seems that it either likes generating, or does nothing at all. (It's supposed to have a 50% chance to generate per tile, but it seems more like that's 50% per island xD)

*Coughs*
    NEVER use randomize more than once in a proc/func. Now that I know doing so produces very odd behavior... on to a more lively island! [[ As a side effect, it takes approximately 10x less time to generate a map now ]]

http://imgur.com/9irse.png
    http://imgur.com/My59k.png

Lakes, mines, trees, palm trees, dirt, and sand hooray! The final island size will be approximately 5-10x larger, but I've not done so yet because I haven't made a way to scroll the map.

Wish me luck! There's still no gameplay yet. I hope to begin working on at least some gameplay tonight, finishing it up tomorrow.

(But I love the concept I have going here so much, that I'll probably spend the week after LD finishing it up to my liking. Networked multiplayer is something I'm thinking about.)

Also, as LD requires the opensourcing of the games, I feel sorry for whomever decides to poke through the procedural generation code, haha. It's already 500+ lines. (You wouldn't think it would take so much, would you?)

Ah well. It's nice to finally see something coming together and _working_, after I've had a lot of time to fiddle around with these various tools and libs.

Good luck to all other Pascal LDers! (I believe there's 2-3 others)

Ohh, that sure looks pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Hi all, I would have loved to enter, but I was having internet problems for around 1 day and have now gotten it back just now. So I didn't even find out about the theme till right now.

I am also rather busy today so I won't have time to enter, bummer

very nice start dazappa and Stoney, looking forward to playing them

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast