Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first Pyrogine game - "The Probe"

My first Pyrogine game - "The Probe"

Hi all,
    you might have seen some posts of mine (mainly in the Pyrogine threads) about a boulder-dash like game I'm trying to make using Jarrod Davis' great "Pyrogine Engine" (http://www.pyrogine.com/).

Well, I have been re-working it, and adding new ideas to it

Here are the ideas so far:

Game Description
    “The Probe” is a boulder-dash like game with two objectives.

Objective 1: First, like most bounder-dash like games, you have to collect the number of gems required each level while avoiding enemies, traps, and other nasties.

Objective 2: After collecting the required number of gems, the Teleporter Laser System, or TLS will power up. The TLS will fire a laser beam from its emitter in a straight line. You have to unblock its path, and deflect the beam using beam deflectors so it hits, and charges up the TLS receiver. When the TLS receiver has been charged up, the player is teleported out of the level, thus completing it.
    How does this game-play sound, ok? I believe it is at least unique - hopefully it will be interesting and fun

There are going to be things in it like brick walls, energy walls, ice walls, and titanium walls (indestructible), moving enemies (similar to fire-flies and butterflies), gun-turrets, acid (dissolves rocks/gems/dirt).

cheers,
    Paul

Re: My first Pyrogine game - "The Probe"

That sounds pretty good!
    Quite some years ago there was a game called Dweep. It used to be (or perhaps it still is pretty) popular. It featured similar mechanisms such as the deflecting laser beam you're describing, in order for the player to reach it's goal. There's probably a demo around for you to try, so there may be other things for you to get inspiration from.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    That sounds pretty good!
    Quite some years ago there was a game called Dweep. It used to be (or perhaps it still is pretty) popular. It featured similar mechanisms such as the deflecting laser beam you're describing, in order for the player to reach it's goal. There's probably a demo around for you to try, so there may be other things for you to get inspiration from.
    Thanks for the kind words

Hey, I haven't heard of that game before, I will have to google it...cheers!

Paul

Good work my friend. I read the design treatment you sent me, all seems solid. Keep going. And always, if there is anything you need, let me know. I'm currently working our game too and actively enhancing PGE as I go along.

If it works out, the next build will assist in doing texture mapped lighting effects. I'm updating the rsColorLightMap render state to dynamically lighten a texture which I want to use for the lightning effects for the background nebula in the game.

Code on.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Hey all,
    I have now come up with a background story for "The Probe", I hope you like it

Background Story
    You have been exploring an alien planet using a remote controlled robot probe, and while doing so, discovered some interesting looking underground caverns.
    To access the caverns, you got the probe to teleport inside using its own teleportation system as there was no visible means of access.

Unfortunately, while exploring the caverns, there was an energy surge from an unknown source which caused the probe’s teleport unit to explode into many pieces which become scattered around the caverns.

Can you successfully control the probe to collect the teleporter power crystals, power up the teleporter, and escape the caverns?
    cheers,
    Paul

Sounds good man. Can't wait to see it in action.
    Jarrod Davis

I have now updated my general blog page

http://www.paulsbitsandbytes.blogspot.com

with an updated version of the background story for "The Probe" (includes a new, major objective in the game).

I think it will add more interesting game-play

cheers,
    Paul

Neat! I just found this game today that uses lasers, mirrors, prisms, etc. in its game play:

http://www.cocos2d-iphone.org/forum/topic/3987

This should give me some great ideas for my laser beam part of "The Probe"

cheers,
    Paul

Good stuff. Thanks.
    Jarrod Davis

I have now gotten my laser beam & deflectors system working, yay!

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast