Re: My first Pyrogine game - "The Probe"

Here are some screenshots of the latest version:

Here is a shot of the editor at work:

And a shot of the same level in-game - the beam is melting the ice

cheers,
    Paul

it's too easy to be carried away, i learnt that w/ 2 fails of FAR Colony

But your editor seems to ooperate well, keep it up !
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

Quote Originally Posted by farcodev
    it's too easy to be carried away, i learnt that w/ 2 fails of FAR Colony

But your editor seems to ooperate well, keep it up !
    Thanks

I have now gotten links into the editor so now all I have to do is get the basics working in the game itself now LOL

You can link warps (vortices) and teleporters to be one way, or bi-directional if you wanted

cheers,
    Paul

I have now updated my general blog with the latest screenshots of a level in the editor (including the new links addition), and in-game.

There is now a HUD including the number of lives, crystals left to collect, the score, and the elapsed time in the level

http://paulsbitsandbytes.blogspot.co...el-editor.html

cheers,
    Paul

Well, after some extensive re-factoring of the base classes with regards to moving, I can now move the player character (the probe) around the level and not go through solid objects...yay!

To test pushing objects, I have now added code that allows rocks to be pushed around if there is a space on the otherside in the same direction

As they don't fall yet (no gravity), I have now created a Sokoban game! haha LOL

Now onto the other features, gravity to name one...

cheers,
    Paul

Ok, after some more additions last night, I now have a basically playable level...yay!!

Rocks can be pushed and will fall (won't stack boulder-dash style yet though).

No collisions will happen with rocks and the probe when the rocks are falling yet, but warps for objects like rocks work nicely, and so do the teleporters for the player character

Switches don't work yet either, but you can collect crystals to activate the TLS beam which you then have to unblock.

Here is a screenshot of a test level:

And a video below of me completing the same test level:
    http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/videos/.../TheProbe.html

If the above video is too slow for you online, you can download the video (525KB 7-zip file, AVI format) here:
    http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/videos/...be/TheProbe.7z

cheers,
    Paul

I have now gotten the rocks/crystals to fall, roll, and stack almost the same as boulder-dash again, so yeah!

Also, rocks/crystals now collide with the player too (but not kill the player yet), and stop or roll off depending on the situation...

cheers,
    Paul

If anyone wants to try the game so far (includes collisions, working warps, teleporters, switches, and the TLS [Teleporter Laser System]), you can download it here (1.98Mb 7-zip file, includes a single test level as proof-of-concept):

http://fpc4gp2x.eonclash.com/downloads/The_Probe.7z

Controls:
    w = move up
    x = move down
    a = move left
    d = move right
    Escape = exits game

Near the top-left teleporter (starts off disabled), you will find a switch that you can push to toggle on/off. When on, the aforementioned teleporter will be activated as it is linked to the switch.

There is a console (with flashing ?) on the left wall (not implemented yet), which will be used to give the player help/hints about the current level.

Once activated, you can use the teleporter to teleport to the central part, collect the crystals, and come back again.

Then just move that single boulder lying down in the lower left so it is out of the way of the yellow beam that is trying to charging up the TLS receiver (hint, push it into a warp)

After 5 seconds of accumulated charging, the TLS receiver will activate, and the level will complete.

The falling boulders don't kill the player yet, but will later on just like regular boulder-dash games

Enjoy, and feedback would be appreciated

cheers,
    Paul

I tried the game. Seems nice.

I think I noticed a bug, but am not sure if it is. The single boulder on the lower left, which is supposed to be pushed into the warp, can naturally be pushed in the other direction, into the warp on it's right side. However, if the boulder is pushed right before another boulder goes into the warp, this boulder will hit the single boulder, stop, but the single boulder will go into the warp. The falling boulder will just stop there. Then the single boulder will come from the top warp, fall down and hit the stopped boulder, and "park" on it's left side.

I might be wrong, but should not the boulders, if not obstructed, simply continue falling down. There is nothing obstructing the boulder to fall into the warp, yet it stays in the place. I know it was temporarily stopped by the single boulder, but after the single boulder falls into warp, should not the stopped boulder simply continue falling again? Because as I can see, after hitting the probe the boulders will stop, and continue falling after the probe is not blocking them. Should not this happen with other boulders?
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777
    I tried the game. Seems nice.

I think I noticed a bug, but am not sure if it is. The single boulder on the lower left, which is supposed to be pushed into the warp, can naturally be pushed in the other direction, into the warp on it's right side. However, if the boulder is pushed right before another boulder goes into the warp, this boulder will hit the single boulder, stop, but the single boulder will go into the warp. The falling boulder will just stop there. Then the single boulder will come from the top warp, fall down and hit the stopped boulder, and "park" on it's left side.

I might be wrong, but should not the boulders, if not obstructed, simply continue falling down. There is nothing obstructing the boulder to fall into the warp, yet it stays in the place. I know it was temporarily stopped by the single boulder, but after the single boulder falls into warp, should not the stopped boulder simply continue falling again? Because as I can see, after hitting the probe the boulders will stop, and continue falling after the probe is not blocking them. Should not this happen with other boulders?
    Thanks for the test de_jean_7777, and the bug report
    You are correct, the rocks should continue falling down if nothing is under them - I will see if I can reproduce this...

cheers,
    Paul

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast