Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delphi is coming to Linux/Mac OS X

Blog Entries

Delphi is coming to Linux/Mac OS X

Hey how come noone seems to have been talking about this at all yet? The number one gripe about Delphi among all us game developers (besides the IDE) is how it doesn't to cross-platform yet. Well here it is AND this was posted last year. Wakey wakey folks, "Project X" is happening for all of those Delphi users out there.

If you are just tuning in on this topic now have a read below to get yourself caught up:

http://blogs.embarcadero.com/abauer/2009/05/20/38885

If you actually want to read about some of the interesting issues that the Delphi team is up against in making their Delphi compiler cross-platform compatible, you should check out Mr. Eli Boling's blogs about things like dynamic libraries, OS X malloc and other memory allocation & management issues and other such things:

http://blogs.embarcadero.com/eboling/2010/02/16/5656

In case you are wondering who Eli Boling is, I believe he's one of the good folks that brought us Kylix. From what I've read, he seems to know his stuff.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Delphi is coming to Linux/Mac OS X

sounds good!! finally
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Yep... and I for one can not yet talk about it because of the NDA... sigh! But soon. This is why I said what I said when you asked about PGE becoming cross platform. Cool stuff for Delphi coming.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Not sure how I managed to miss this, looking back at the Core mail group it was mentioned several times . Guess this means that soon Delphi might = Lazarus. Though, if they take the old mindset this should be much better than Lazarus and that would mean I'd have to eat Crow and start backing Delphi more than Lazarus yet again .

Still, I'm willing to bet that Delphi won't quite be able to do the 1 thing I'd love to see a compiler do. Target build from OS1 -> OS2. (And, yes, I know the complex reasons behind this)

- Jeremy

PS: Some of the reading on Eli's blog and several other blogs looks very interesting and promising.

Delphi for MacOS - WOW! Finally

Is there an ETA?
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

It's gonna be great when it arrives. Then I can start thinking about my cross platform stuff.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    Delphi for MacOS - WOW! Finally

Is there an ETA?
    Apparently (according to the Delphi embacadero news groups) the Delphi for MacOS will cross-compile from windows only, and not be a native MacOS Delphi.

But sill, wow!

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    Apparently (...) the Delphi for MacOS will cross-compile from windows only, and not be a native MacOS Delphi.
    Why? I don't understand. It's just stupid, isn't it?

Anyway, good news.
    No signature provided yet.

The delphi ide is .net . So with mono it should be possible ... The drawback on that mono supposedly leaks memory ...

I am not waiting for delphi to become cross platform but use freepascal now. I can now target win32 linux-x86 and linux-arm .

Btw is not delphi going to violate the apple sdk?
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    The delphi ide is .net . So with mono it should be possible ... The drawback on that mono supposedly leaks memory ...
    This is not true. There are currently 2 Delphi products (well 3 if you count Delphi for PHP) 'Delphi Prism' is a .NET platform, Delphi aka 'Delphi for Win32' it's self is not, it is Win32 only.

What Embarcadero (owners of Code Gear) is doing here is taking their existing Delphi for Win32 and porting it to Mac OS X and Linux. Yes, with .NET you *can* use Mono to run your programs on other systems, but not everyone wants to do that. And that's considering that they want .NET at all either. Delphi for Mac OS X and Delphi for Linux will be for those that want their programs to run naively, much like it does on Win32, on both Mac OS X and Linux systems. And increasing growth in Free Pascal's acceptance and usage proves this.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast