Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brace for it... I think WILL's going to become a Mac.

Blog Entries

Brace for it... I think WILL's going to become a Mac.

Yes folks, I hate to break any of you PCs hearts, but after thinking about it for the last couple of years and finally having a network setup and having to wait for Windows to wet it's self while I just want it to do what I've set it up to do, I think it's time to make a major change to a vital piece of my home's technology. I'm going Mac!

However as I make this scary and daunting leap, I have questions. A TONS of questions! Maybe some of you guys can help me out...

1) Lazarus on the Mac. Whats the deal? I assume it'll function just like it does on Windows and Linux, no? Does it take some extra special setup for doing applications that use the GUI?

2) Is the i7 all that worth getting over an i5? Dual vs Quad? What level is all the software at now? What's worth it and what's not? What will still feel seamless in a couple of years?

3) How many 'dumb dumb' features are there that I'll have to fight? Compared to say oh... Windows.

4) Memory. Geez, I remember when I only had 2MB of RAM on my old 386... I have 2 GB on my current system which is a Celeron M. (And that's as good as she'll get.) 4 - 16 GB are what I'm offered now. Whats a good happy standard for most things these days? How easy/hard/expensive is it to upgrade later?

5) BluRay. Ok call me a picky Peter, but why don't I see options to have this put into a new Mac? I mean common, it's a 27" screen.

6) What will SC2 work on? Ok, maybe that one is too soon, but I'm probably going to be playing it on the Mac primarily though.

MSN. I have an MSN account which I talk to some of you guys on. Whats the best alternative to this Windows-based app?

9) Bootcamp, VMWare, etc... Which is the best and most seamless for running a Windows instance? Though I'm moving to Mac, I still want to develop for Win32/64 + Linux as well. I really like the idea of the one where you can run BOTH at the same time. That's pretty sweet.

10) What types of apps, that don't come out of the box do you guys recommend? Considering I do video editing, play music (MP3), watch movies (divx/xvid, DVD, BluRay), photo editing and so on.

I may need to replace:

- Windows Media Player
    - WinAmp
    - Photoshop 7 (lol I know, probably will tell me to use GIMP)
    - Windows Live Messenger
    - WinRAR
    - Azureus Vuze
    - Nero Burning Rom

Really I think that's it for now, a lot of what I use for development and other tools is all open source and has a Mac port too. Well anyhow if you guys can answer these I guess all I need to know is how much this new monster will cost and when I'll get it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Brace for it... I think WILL's going to become a Mac.

Personally, I don't get what all the fuzz is about with Macs. Apparently 'everything' is better or easier on a Mac, yet I often hear my co-workers sigh about this or that not working...

With that said, I'm by no means the right person to answer all of these points, but some I may be able to shed some light on.

1) -

2) Yes. I went from dual core to i7 and oh boy. Sure it'll cost a bit extra, but you'll love it. If you have the cash go for it.

3) -

4) That heavily depends on what you do. 6 or 8 is standard now, 12 probably in 2-3 years. It sort of depends on how easy it is to upgrade I think. around 12gb would be my choice.

5) -

6) I have no clue what gfx cards are used on Macs, but knowing Blizzard I don't think you have to worry about that much.

7) ?

-

9) My co-workers use Parallels Desktop.

10) From what I heard a lot of software comes with a Mac. Others need to be bought. Like Photoshop (for Mac)

Hope this helps a bit...

This is a for the record post

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    1) Lazarus on the Mac. Whats the deal? I assume it'll function just like it does on Windows and Linux, no? Does it take some extra special setup for doing applications that use the GUI?
    Pretty much, though MAC uses the concept of application packages instead of stand alone binaries. DOM has some GREAT information on this if you can get him to share. If not I'll pull it from my archive and post it

2) Is the i7 all that worth getting over an i5? Dual vs Quad? What level is all the software at now? What's worth it and what's not? What will still feel seamless in a couple of years?
    Ok, here is the thing, if your going to spend the $$ on a MAC buy the BEST thing you can afford. MAC's arn't like a PC, there are frigging IIE's still in use today LOL! They don't really wear out, and it seems you never really upgrade the things, so buy the best you can afford and you won't go wrong. PS: ALWAYS buy the warantee with a MAC

3) How many 'dumb dumb' features are there that I'll have to fight? Compared to say oh... Windows.
    Sh!# tons!

4) Memory. Geez, I remember when I only had 2MB of RAM on my old 386... I have 2 GB on my current system which is a Celeron M. (And that's as good as she'll get.) 4 - 16 GB are what I'm offered now. Whats a good happy standard for most things these days? How easy/hard/expensive is it to upgrade later?
    See point 2

5) BluRay. Ok call me a picky Peter, but why don't I see options to have this put into a new Mac? I mean common, it's a 27" screen.
    Got me, maybe it has it built in by default

6) What will SC2 work on? Ok, maybe that one is too soon, but I'm probably going to be playing it on the Mac primarily though.
    - No idea, what is SC2

MSN. I have an MSN account which I talk to some of you guys on. Whats the best alternative to this Windows-based app?
    LOTS of messengers for MAC that support Live, GTalk, and basically you name it, the one I used was Adium. Just note, if you have GROWL installed (and you will) then things can get a bit annoying with some.

9) Bootcamp, VMWare, etc... Which is the best and most seamless for running a Windows instance? Though I'm moving to Mac, I still want to develop for Win32/64 + Linux as well. I really like the idea of the one where you can run BOTH at the same time. That's pretty sweet.
    Personally, I like VirtualBox for running apps. Parallels is also quite good (but expensive). Bootcamp I've had too many problems with.... And, well, VMWare just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

10) What types of apps, that don't come out of the box do you guys recommend? Considering I do video editing, play music (MP3), watch movies (divx/xvid, DVD, BluRay), photo editing and so on.
    You won't know till you start using it But MAC's are for Media Editing, so there are a ton of apps for that.

I may need to replace:

- Windows Media Player
    - WinAmp
    - Photoshop 7 (lol I know, probably will tell me to use GIMP)
    - Windows Live Messenger
    - WinRAR
    - Azureus Vuze
    - Nero Burning Rom
    Basically, all built in. For WinRAR use 7zip or the built in compressor (can't remember the name).\

Photoshop replacement;
    DON'T USE GIMP!
    PIxelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com/) is suppose to be really good, and for only $60US isn't a bad price.
    Skitch (http://skitch.com/) is an excellent stitcher.
    SeaShore is also one I've heard about (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/)

Actually, a link you might want to keep around is http://www.opensourcemac.org/ Don't be confused by the fact that it looks like a garbage site, really the links there are to some good software. Ducky for example is the BEST FTP app for MAC IMHO.

- Jeremy

Blog Entries

It's HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thing is bloody awesome! Barring Blu-Ray, my new system has everything. I'm currently downloading Lazarus to install and try to compile some of my projects. If all pans out this system will become my primary system. Lots of updating and installing to do though...

Anyone need assistance porting from Win32 to Mac OS X?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Anyone need assistance porting from Win32 to Mac OS X?
    If you'd be so kind to port Andorra 2d so I can compile my projects on a Mac...

[random tangent]
    Man. I wish FPC/Laz had some handy cross-platform (win/lin/mac) 2d and 3d libs. I've seen attempts at irrlict translations, but afaik those have never gotten anywhere, SDL is niceish, but not if you want to use alpha channels to their fullest (only supports on or off, basically). But I digress...
    [/random tangent]

So yeah, I've got access to one ancient old ppc g4, but I've never bothered trying to develop any games that work under Mac.

I keep meaning to start porting my commercial Vision Board Studio to MacOS. But so far still haven't got around to it. The idea of converting to using openGL from DirectX and converting the various applications to have Mac equivalents is a fair amount of work. We even went as far as to get a quote, one was $20k US and the other $30k.

Oh well maybe one day

Enjoy your mac. I love my mac book. Best laptop I have ever used.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Have fun with your Mac.
    Just be careful, don't get addicted to buying Apple products. Just saying from experience: After my first PowerMac... other Apple devices like a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPod came.

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    If you'd be so kind to port Andorra 2d so I can compile my projects on a Mac...
    I gave it a shot once, but it's more complicated than you think at first, mostly because most libraries Andorra is using don't have cross-platform Pascal headers.
    But a while back I've offered igel457 to donate my old PowerMac G4 to him, so he can do some basic testing on Mac OS X.

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    [random tangent]
    I wish FPC/Laz had some handy cross-platform (win/lin/mac) 2d and 3d libs.
    [/random tangent]
    As for a 3D library Horde3D works on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Allright, you need to check out the latest source from their SVN repository in order to work on Mac OS X, but it's a pretty neat low-level 3D graphics library. (The Horde3D editor however is Windows-only.)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Blog Entries

So far so good. I'm still trying to get everything I want installed with some difficulties. ie. Scribus (my desktop publishing software I use to publish Pascal Gamer) requires Ghostscript which does not have an installer rather just a gziped/tarballed archive which contains only a console executable which I now have no idea where to stick it. Without Scribus there is no new issues of Pascal Gamer.

Any ideas solutions for this? I'm sure I'll figure it out, but heck it makes transitioning to Mac a slight pain.

Installing Lazarus seems to be far less annoying however. Though they could have made the solution far more simplistic, I finally got all I needed (Laz, FPC FPC source and then Xcode tools) registering as an Apple Developer was an interesting process. The only remaining issue now is that moving all my projects over to the Mac will break all my file paths for my Win32 project files. I'm wondering how I'm going to handle this nicely in the future when I go to port all my projects to Win32. Or Linux for that matter. Sure didn't make this easy, the way they made everything project based easy did they? I like some aspects of Laz being project based, but this is a limitation of sorts it seems.

Another funny issue is that Mac OS X actually seemed to freeze! Yes, thats right I managed to freeze my new i7 Quad Core within the first day. I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it could have been that I was installing a program, importing pictures and video to iMovie/iPhoto and surfing the web at the same time. Those programs started to go unresponsive, then shortly after Mac OS X it's self eventually became unresponsive too. Poor little i7 Quad Core it seems. Anyone know how to report system barfs to Apple?

I know I won't have to worry about viruses well for a long long time at least, but I'm wondering just how stable do you guys find Mac OS X Snow Leopard to be? Is this rare? Will this sort of thing usually only happen during installations as some kind of OpenBSD type of quirk? What gives?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Without Scribus there is no new issues of Pascal Gamer.
    Here's explained how to install Ghostscript on a Mac:

http://ghostscript.darwinports.com/

I use Scribus, too, on a Windows PC, and I don't have Ghostscript installed. Although I get a warning dialogue when Scribus starts, it works well. Only things not working are using .eps files and Scribus' builtin print preview (which I don't use at all, 'cause I always export a PDF file when I want to see the final file).

So far so good. I'm still trying to get everything I want installed with some difficulties. ie. Scribus (my desktop publishing software I use to publish Pascal Gamer) requires Ghostscript which does not have an installer rather just a gziped/tarballed archive which contains only a console executable which I now have no idea where to stick it. Without Scribus there is no new issues of Pascal Gamer.

Any ideas solutions for this?
    Install Fink or Darwinports. Both work like "apt-get" on an Ubuntu Linux system that means you just have to enter "fink install ghostscript" or "port install ghostscript" in your terminal.
    You will probably be doing some more terminal-stuff. I would suggest you to install OpenTerminal. Place OpenTerminal in the dock, then click on a Finder window and then on the OpenTerminal icon and it will open a terminal in the current window.

The only remaining issue now is that moving all my projects over to the Mac will break all my file paths for my Win32 project files. I'm wondering how I'm going to handle this nicely in the future when I go to port all my projects to Win32. Or Linux for that matter.
    My solution is like this: For bigger Lazarus projects I have three different project files like main_win.lpi, main_linux.lpi and main_mac.lpi. For smaller projects I have just one project file (Windows project) and two makefiles each one for Linux and Mac OS X. For the distribution executable on Mac OS X I use my makefile as well, it also creates a Univeral Binary (so it will work on older PowerPC macs) and includes all the frameworks I use (like SDL) while Lazarus doesn't have an easy way to include frameworks by default (or at least I haven't seen any).

Anyone know how to report system barfs to Apple?
    Usually if you restart your system you get a message box that says you shut down your system manually and you have an option to send the report to Apple.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast