Thread: The key to Delphi...

The key to Delphi...

Just a quick post for those who are just getting into Delphi and are "new" to programming. Learn the underlying Object Pascal language. By having a firm grasp of the basics you will excel at a far quicker rate and understand much more in the long run. A decent book to help you along this path is: Learn Object Pascal with Delphi, which comes with a full version of Delphi 5.0. Or if you are already pretty confident with your programming abilities, but need a quick guide around Pascal in Delphi you can check out Essential Pascal, an online book by Marco Cantu.
    My DGDev forum pascal syntax highlight settings:
    <br />[background=#FFFFFF][comment=#8080FF][normal=#000080]
    <br />[number=#C00000][reserved=#000000][string=#00C000]

The key to Delphi...

Yep, I agree with you wholeheartedly Xorcist. If you want to learn the language, try writing only console apps for a while. This can speed up the learning process since you worry about language problems rather than GUI implementation details. Also, it gives you slightly more chance to look at a GUI app with an understanding of what's declared and why (e.g. the "TForm1 = class(TForm)" bit).

Not that there's a chance in hell of convincing someone learning Delphi to stay away from the GUI .

A top tip, btw: if you're not sure about something, whack up a sample program just for that task (e.g., create a new app with an edit box, a button, then make the button do something and show a message with the result). You'll end up with a massive reference of useful snippets. To put it in perspective, my Delphi programs folder contains close to 9000 files in 500 different folders. :!:

If anybody wants some more book recommendations, they were discussed in this thread. You are welcome, of course, to discuss books here as well.
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

The key to Delphi...

I agree with AliMonster, if you encounter a problem or if you are new to something, don't trying or solving it in the application you are working on, start a new one, so you can really see what you are doing and avoid problems caused by other parts of your program!

Another tip I would like to provide you with is: Collect as much as you can. Samples, Code Snappets, Help Files and always keep your try-out code it doesn't matter how badly it was written but it shows how things are done... I have a map that is a bit smaller than AliMonsters, but pretty big, where I collect everything and if I run into a problem I browse through it and mostly I find the answer!
    Do it by the book, but be the author!
    <br />
    <br />Visit the Lion Productions website at:
    <br />http://lionprod.f2o.org

The key to Delphi...

I agree, it was a big help to read manuals on Delphi, now I create Remote Administration Tool's for a company I am the co-founder of. Currently I am learning to program games, and I do enjoy a good challenge

The key to Delphi...

Hi Folks,

Also by Macro Cantu is Essential Delphi available from here in pdf format:

http://www.marcocantu.com/edelphi/

Just follow the link Essential_delphi_103.pdf (1.3 Mb)

It looks good. :-)))

Regards,
    --- Peter W. :-)))
    Canberra, Australia
    (Monkey see, monkey do... :-)))