Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st 2d game

My 1st 2d game

i like to show 1 picture(it's just a beginning) of it and please feel free to comment it...
    thx
    [img][/img]
    removed for some time...

Blog Entries

Re: My 1st 2d game

Hmm. Its a bit hard to see what I'm looking at. Would that be a 2d tile based map?
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

2d tile based world

Blog Entries

Would this be an isometric style 2D game? Isometric graphics are a bit of a challenge, but they do look really neat and make for a unique style of gameplay.

What type of game are you planning? RTS, Squad-based combat, platformer, scrolling top-view shooter, god game?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

i have realy no idea what im doing....

Blog Entries

lol well it is always good to experiment. What I honestly suggest you do though, is stop yourself now. Grab a piece of paper (a nice 8.5 x 10 inch size is always great, grid, lined or plain, whatever you like best) and start to draw out your ideas on the paper before moving on. Draw what you want the tiled game to look like, draw in little foot notes for yourself. Think of what types of game you have played and enjoy playing the most. This will help you to just come up with a concept. Then once you have a basic idea of what you want then start to code.

It never hurts to start on paper first. A lot of the more experienced developers/programmers here at PGD do this approach since a lot of their games have a whole bunch of ideas and features that they want to put into the game, so it's a good practice to start on early. If you can do all the planning digitally using other programs that simulate this process, that's cool too, but sometimes it doesn't compare to the original old fashioned creative tools you can hold in your hands.

And if you make some cool sketches feel free to scan them and post them here, if you can. We love seeing that stuff!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

paper good hint, but i think that i have huge problem...
    my only tools are pascal and notepad...
    what tools you use, don't you wanna say that you make all that grafic in pascal...

what tools you use, don't you wanna say that you make all that grafic in pascal...
    Actually, no...

Typically another tools, paint, paint++, gimp, photoshop, or some 3D->2D tool is used for sprites and graphics. Simple basic graphics are sometimes done in code, but in general graphics, music, and other sound effects and other media are not hard coded.

I'm going to agree with Will on the paper bit. It makes life SOOOOOO much easier. There is a lot to work through and complete in a 2D game of just about any kind (even something as simple as my Pentominoes game) that paper just helps to keep you grounded in reality.

Start with a few basic questions:
    What types of games do you like playing?
    What skills do you posses; dev, graphics, music, soundfx, story, etc...
    What skills can you (honestly) afford to hire out?
    What skills can you live without

From that list, knowing this is your first game, find the EASIEST game and start with 1/2 of it. You already seem to have a rendering engine, and that's a good start. Take baby steps and post progress often, that way you can get quick and (most importantly) free feedback. Also, don't think your going to finish something in a week or two, it takes time and the more time typically leads to better quality.

Just my 2 cents

- Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Also, don't think your going to finish something in a week or two, it takes time and the more time typically leads to better quality.

Just my 2 cents

- Jeremy
    i have done 1 game already (http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...p?topic=6299.0, made that more than 5 months), but now i wanna make 2D game in graf or something like that, not like my 1st in ASCII

graf = graphics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast