Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nextgen-software rendering

Ok folks. I have new nick on sourceforge and the name of the project is little different because 2 bad things happened:
    1. Some idiot or idiot's atacked the sourceforge server's and the SF team changed the passwords of all projects for the security reasons
    2. I used the e-mail recorvery, but my e-mail provider horribly failed because i can't get any new mails, sometimes the page was down... There were many problems.

So i changed the name of the project and my nick. I will now use the SVN system to make updates to the source code.

About the project ... So what is new? Per-tile operations are more optimized, i am using now 2D homogenouse rasterization, clipping is done in 4D homogenouse, vertex transformation path and backface culling is more optimized, texture reading is in post-proccesing pass, indexing pixels to triangles is optimized with bit mask and linked litss (it was before slow because i don't used combination of 64bit mask and one 32-bit pointer but 64 x 32 bit pointer's, so for every pixel one 32bit value alias pointer to the triangle)

In the demo (cube field - 2000 objects):
    q,w,e,a,s,d - move in all 6 directions
    arrows - rotation of the camera

Next step :
    -per tile mip-maping
    -bilinear texture fiiltering with one texture fetch - with one "movaps" or "movdqa"

cya

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phenomenonngsw/

For the demo is desktop in 32-bit color mode needed and sse2 instruction support..
    Last edited by herrcoolness; 10-04-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    It doesnt matter in which language are you programming. It matter what can you create in this language. I see the future of pascal in Free Pascal - the only free way for the future...

Blog Entries
    Nice stuff, I'lll be sure to check this one out (SVN pun) and read through the code... I have to admit, the SF password change was a right pain for me too. Please SF, don't get hacked again. SVN failed quite badly on that day (I was committing when it went funny and golly it was 'fun')
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Nice stuff, I'lll be sure to check this one out (SVN pun) and read through the code... I have to admit, the SF password change was a right pain for me too. Please SF, don't get hacked again. SVN failed quite badly on that day (I was committing when it went funny and golly it was 'fun')
    thnx dude . Really i don't understand people, which are attacking free sofware page. I think they are payed hackers from some company.
    It doesnt matter in which language are you programming. It matter what can you create in this language. I see the future of pascal in Free Pascal - the only free way for the future...

Hi folks. I just updated the engine with a per tile mip-mapping.

I was think about one problem. Is the rasterizer really fast? I compared it with the s-buffer technique. The s-buffer can reject almost all pixel in the x-screen resolution but my can just maximum 64 pixels. When all scanlines in the rasterization pipeline of the polygon (triangle) are rejected, the y-loop need to take just 1680 loops when we take that we have y screen resolution of 1680 pixels and a fullscreen triangle, but my rasterizer need ( 1680 div 8 )*( 1050 div 8 ) loops to do which is 27000 so when we compare it is about 27x slower... GOD DAMN !!

What i get when i use scanline based rasterizing with conjunction with s-buffer?
    -faster rejecting of pixel in the x-direction
    -ability to render in to texture
    -more natural memory organization.
    -fewer pixels wasted bacuse the tile aligning
    Problem? Yes, when i do light calculations. With pixel's sorted in tiles i could create bbox for the tile from all pixel postions. Then when i check this bbox with vertex positions in world-space against a sphere which is the maximal radius of the light, i could reject or accept the whole 64 pixels. But in scanline based rasterization i don't have the ability to do this. Yes there could be a conversion of the pixels but i think it could be slow. So i am thinkink about a horizontal span in the s-buffer as a line segment, which i check against sphere or cone of the light and see how much pixels i need to calculate.

ok people.. see you later.. i think .. much later. But don't forget .. i am working on it..

Hi folks. After doing some research,windows-crash-tests and comparing the speed of scanline based rasterization against tile-halfspace rasterization, i come to a result, that scanline rasterization is much slower then the tile rasterization. Why is it so. So at first what techniques i have used. (You know that all this ideas are not from me. I am just a human like you and not a alien master-brain ... and it's fair to show you the source of my knowledge, which will help you to understand me and my source code) :

Scanline based:
    -Rasterization algorytm is based on Chris Hecker's floating point rasterizer (http://chrishecker.com/Miscellaneous_Technical_Articles) modified for sse and deferred texturing. Guys, if you are new in rasterization, this is the site where can you learn all the basics and tricks.
    -Clipping algorytm is from latest source code of NIck's SwShader 0.3.0. (ftp://nic.funet.fi/pub/sci/graphics/...ader-0.3.0.zip) Nick, nice trick to shift the clipping planes from -1<x<1 to 0<x<1. This help a lot when you wanna calculate the clipping flags with SSE (see my source code)
    -Transformation code is based on article from http://www.cortstratton.org/articles...zingForSSE.php
    -The s-buffer idea is based on Paul Nettle's "S-buffer FAQ" (http://www.gamedev.net/page/resource...uffer-faq-r668) and the source code, which helped me to not going thru the hell of coding a s-buffer insert routine is based on Bero's software renderer (http://vserver.rosseaux.net/stuff/BeRoSoftRender.zip) which based on c++ code of The Swine (http://www.luki.webzdarma.cz/eng_07_en.htm)
    -The bilinear filtering is based on the Nick' SWshader source code optimized for sse2 by me.

Tile based:
    -Rasterization algorytm is based on Nick's article (http://www.devmaster.net/codespotlight/show.php?id=17) extended to 2d homogenous rasterization (http://www.cs.unc.edu/~olano/papers/2dh-tri/) with little help of the source code from the Attila GPU simulator (https://attila.ac.upc.edu/wiki/index.php/Attila_Project), but the normalization code of the edge equation, which helps converting the edge quation from the FPU format to Fixedpoint format is coded by my self
    -Calculation of the triangle's 2d screen coverage bounding box is based on the Attila GPU Simulator source code too, which is again based on article "Jim Blinn's Corner: Calculating Screen Coverage"
    -Early accept-reject of block-in-triangle idea is based on intels Larabee article (http://software.intel.com/en-us/arti...n-on-larrabee/)
    -deferred rendering idea is based on the PowerVR thechnology article (http://www.imgtec.com/factsheets/SDK...e.External.pdf)
    -hierarchical Zmin updating with coverage-mask is based on article Two-level hierarchical z-buffer for 3D graphics hardware (http://www.si2lab.org/publications/c...en_iscas02.pdf)
    -Transformation code is based on article from http://www.cortstratton.org/articles...zingForSSE.php

Pros & Cons:

Scanline based:
    +fewer calculations by calculating adress of pixel
    +fewer wasted pixels for render targets and texture
    +rasterization is calculated pixel precise
    -variable scanline size so we can not directly unroll a drawing loop
    -not cachce friendly representation of render targets and textures for random access and texture size (can't access pixels in y direction without destroying the data in cache, problematic are calculations of dx/dy derivates and
    +rejecting more, equal or fewer as 64 pixels with sbuffer
    -we need to draw from front to back and from right to left to gain speed of the sbuffer and the rejection of pixels without traveling the linked list segments which hurts the cache
    -demo cubefield rendered at 20-25 fps (the cubes are not drawn from front to back, from right to left,just random)

Tile based
    -more calculations by calculating adress of pixel (mmx or sse instructions can help)
    -more wasted pixels (because we need align the texture and render target data to tiles sizes)
    -rasterization is calculated per tiles, and some cpu-cycles are wasted for those pixel, which are not in triangle (sse can help here to reduce it)
    +constant drawing loop which can be unrolled because of the constant size of the tile
    + more cache friendly representation of render targets and textures for random access and texture (we can access the pixels in y direction without destroying the data in the cache, good for pixelshaders, dx/dy derivate calculation,multithreading)
    -rejecting just 64 pixels, yes or no, nothing between
    +fast accessing the z-buffer thru the x,y coordinates, just comparing higher level which is one floating point number, more better organised structure (grid based)
    +demo cubefield rendered at 44 fps and more

The problem with s-buffer is we need sometimes to travel the linked-list of the segments. This is a slow process compared to the hierarchical z-buffer where we have direct access to the memory by calculating the adress from the x,y coordinates. So s-buffer is good for scene without much polygons, because every new polygon adds a new segment to the s-buffer structure and then traveling the growing structure really slowdowns the whole process. See Quake 1. It is using this technique. But in the drawing process the s-buffer is used just for drawing the rooms - static structures which haves small amount of polygons. The mosters,characters are drawn separatly, in another pipeline. But without s-buffer there would be overdraws which can cause more slowdowns.Another problem in scanline based rasterization is the need of clipping. Clipping a polygon in 3d is slow procces and drawing the polygon with the triangle routine is even slower. We need this clipping process for calculating the W coordinates. because we can't use W coordinates behind the camera. And we need to do a perspective division where W coordinate can be equal to 0, which can't be calculated. In tilebased 2d homogenous rasterization we don't have this problem because we directly calculate visible pixels. We even don't need to divide because we are operating in homogenous space. We divide just the interpolated values with the W after checking if the pixel is visible which is that pixel which is lying between the triangle edges and the near and far plane.

Anyway. I uploaded the scanline render for learning purpose. If something is not clear, just ask me. But i think, the FPS numbers are saying it all. Now i know that using the tile render is the right way and i will continue in it. Its deep in the night. I almost see nothing so.. any feedback any question every reaction is welcome. So... let's get back to the TILE WORLD !!!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phe...sed%20version/

Blog Entries
    Just wondering, what hardware spec was all this done on? The
    demo cubefield rendered at 44 fps and more
    could use a little more context right? I mean, if that was an i7 and radeon 5770, I might be worried... Or if its an Amstrad/386 then I'd switch like right not lol
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

I have made a simple software rasterizer some time ago. It's not very well optimized though. Would be interesting to see how it compares to yours.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    Just wondering, what hardware spec was all this done on? The could use a little more context right? I mean, if that was an i7 and radeon 5770, I might be worried... Or if its an Amstrad/386 then I'd switch like right not lol
    Sorry .. my mistake. So, i have tested the demo on Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.5 Mhz and the demo is using just one thread. .. and of course it's not depend on the graphics card. But i have GeForce GTX 275

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I have made a simple software rasterizer some time ago. It's not very well optimized though. Would be interesting to see how it compares to yours.
    Hey Dan. What type of rasterizer it is? Scanline? Tile based? How much polys is in the scene? How is the resolution of the output? Any texture filters? Is there any occlusion procedure or just bruteforce z-buffer?

Blog Entries
    This stuff all sounds pretty neat. Would you be able to put together a small demo so we can see whats going on visually?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast