View Poll Results: Do you...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOT own any Mac. PC all the way!

23 63.89%
  • want to own some kind of Mac, but not yet.

6 16.67%
  • own and old (pre-Intel) Mac.

0 0%
  • own an iMac!

4 11.11%
  • own a Mac Book, Mac Book Pro or a Mac Book Air!

2 5.56%
  • own a Mac Pro!

0 0%
  • own a Mac Mini!

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here has a Mac?

Blog Entries

Who here has a Mac?

Hey all, just wondering who here actually owns a Mac. I know a few people that I've talked to about Macs do, but of the entire PGD site, I don't really. So tell us what you've got!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: Who here has a Mac?

Don't have any Mac, but my brothers and me bought our mother a Mac, so I have played with it a bit.

Easy system for a new user, but can be weird for someone coming from the PC-Windows combination.

I haven't owned and will never own a Mac/Apple product

They have become everything that the original Apple was against, in my eyes
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

I work on a 21" iMac because I like the screen and compact design. However I'm not using OS X, instead I run Windows 7 on it using Bootcamp. Works great.
    ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
    Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.

I originally wanted to get a Mac so I could do Mac development on it. I'm unsure if I want to anymore.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JSoftware
    Sorry that statement is just too interesting to pass on. How do you feel they have done that? I personally feel that they seem to be the same old Apple, they are just making much much better stuff than they used to in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777
    I originally wanted to get a Mac so I could do Mac development on it. I'm unsure if I want to anymore.
    Why is that? I love my Mac and can't wait to get my development platform sorted out. If only I had the time these days.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I have a IMac, but 98% of the time I use Windows 7 on it!

I'm far more productive in Windows!!! I can't get used to the Apple Keyboard and Mouse (I use a Microsoft set in replacement)! I hate the keyboard shortcuts on Mac, I can't get used to it also! I hate in "Finder" could not use "backspace" to back a folder, I have to press Command - Left.

I really only use MacOS because i need to port my games to Mac and I want to develop something to my Iphone!

The only thing that I really love on MACOS is the idea of Application Package, that I put all the library, graphics, sounds, sfx inside my application executable and it does not need to be installed!

Sorry the bad english! =)

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Sorry that statement is just too interesting to pass on. How do you feel they have done that? I personally feel that they seem to be the same old Apple, they are just making much much better stuff than they used to in recent years.
    Apple started out with the intention to make stuff that was open. Allow hobbyists to run their own stuff on their own computers. Not having specialized equipment where the manufacturers decided the final functionality of the device. Back then when the manufacturers put a typewriter application, a calculator and a calendar application in a computer and sold it, for example

I know I may sound like an ideologist here, but I'm a non-ideologist. I like my computer and software free of agendas. I don't need some CEOs assurance that the software that will run on my device will be of top quality, if that means I can't develop that software myself without buying the right to do that

Alot of the major software companies are guilty of this. That's why it's my goal to change it

Oh, that and I don't like the keyboards on iMac's
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

Blog Entries

Apple started out with the intention to make stuff that was open. Allow hobbyists to run their own stuff on their own computers. Not having specialized equipment where the manufacturers decided the final functionality of the device. Back then when the manufacturers put a typewriter application, a calculator and a calendar application in a computer and sold it, for example

I know I may sound like an ideologist here, but I'm a non-ideologist. I like my computer and software free of agendas. I don't need some CEOs assurance that the software that will run on my device will be of top quality, if that means I can't develop that software myself without buying the right to do that

Alot of the major software companies are guilty of this. That's why it's my goal to change it
    I assume you are talking about Apple's TOS? That only applies to developing apps for the iPhone and iPad, not on the Mac. The Mac is still as free as ever to develop for, just availability is still kinda scarce, but growing thankfully.

Oh, that and I don't like the keyboards on iMac's
    Well yeah I've been having a few issues with that too. I miss my Home and End keys, but I can do the same with Fn+Left/Right Arrows or Command+Left/Right. And... the Delete key, not the Apple Delete key, which is actually the PC Backspace key. But again Fn+Delete and it performs just like the old Del key I love. I guess if I get fed up enough I could eventually get a new wireless keyboard. I already replaced my brand new Magic Mouse (which is actually pretty neat) with my older Logitech Laser mouse.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Why is that? I love my Mac and can't wait to get my development platform sorted out. If only I had the time these days.
    Well, it's the TOS, and the price. I wanted to make OS X and iPhone apps some time in the future. But to get a Mac and an iPhone would cost me a lot of money (more than I make in half a year currently). A Mac alone would cost me a lot, and there is no cheap Mac computer (not an Intel based one anyway) around here. I can build a fully functional computer for about 400$ that can run Windows 7 and any Linux distribution (together with a monitor). I cannot find a fully functional intel-based Mac for 400$, not even a used one.
    Existence is pain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast