View Poll Results: Do you...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOT own any Mac. PC all the way!

23 63.89%
  • want to own some kind of Mac, but not yet.

6 16.67%
  • own and old (pre-Intel) Mac.

0 0%
  • own an iMac!

4 11.11%
  • own a Mac Book, Mac Book Pro or a Mac Book Air!

2 5.56%
  • own a Mac Pro!

0 0%
  • own a Mac Mini!

1 2.78%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who here has a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by noeska View Post
    Linux just is not ready for day to day usage...
    I never understood this argument. I mean, what is it that you do day to day that makes Linux unsuitable? I can understand development and using professional tools (e.g. Photoshop CS5), but things like writing a paper, browsing and such do not make it unsuitable for day to day work. Ubuntu got that nicely working. Sure Linux is different, but that's just because most people spent a decade or two using Windows. I think anyone coming from Linux or Mac would find Windows unsuitable for day to day use, or any other combination. The only problem is that we're not used to it, not that it's unsuitable.

Sure there can be problems with Linux. But when I recall how many problems, often bizarre, people have with Windows, then it's not that different. Personally, I try to use Fedora as much as possible, and while it's somewhat more complicated than Ubuntu, I'm happy with it.

As far as OS X and Mac goes, it's a nice platform, which may have less problems than other platforms. But then again Macs don't have to deal with very diverse hardware, and their price excludes them from most people.
    Last edited by de_jean_7777; 04-10-2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    Linux just is not ready for day to day usage...
    My main OS on PC is ArchLinux, what I'm doing wrong? Windows 7 installed on it only for playing games time to time. All other tasks I can do in ArchLinux with more pleasure(better font rendering for me, configurable interface, etc.)

I'm using a Win7/Ubuntu dual boot setup, and I must say that I boot Ubuntu way more often than windows. Especially because I'm doing web-development, which is easy in a linux enviroment. Whan I pick up my pascal projects, I will dive into lazarus a bit more. Overall, I'm using windows only for gaming and heavy applications like Photoshop, Reason and Genetica.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

For day to day usage i mis some tools like sketchup and dont say i can use blender, and take music playing for instance sure there are linux tools for it, but that is not as stable or as easy to use as itunes (yes i used that under windows to) ... But the most anoying thing is that my wlan does not work out of the box and its driver needs to be compiled from source and becomes broken again with each kernel update forcing me to recompile it again and install it again. So that is why i say no day to day usage, for day to day usage i dont want to be bother with things like reinstalling drivers manualy, i just want to turn the system on use it and turn it off again.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar
    First up noeska, I can't even remember what code now but I'm fairly certain I've learned a lot from various bits of code you've written over the years, thank you!!!

I dual boot windows XP 64bit along with an Ubuntu based distro (32bit, Nvidia 64bit linux kernel modules are (shockingly) slower), I too find myself booting into Linux more often than windows. I develop in Freepascal using Lazarus as an IDE and my various OpenGL projects work across both systems (can't afford a mac). But more importantly XBMC works so much better as a Media Center with XBMCLive and VDPAU under linux.

My computer is woefully underpowered compared to most systems (Asrock ION330 HT) and I get much better multi-tasking performance under Linux.

(If the devices you want to use are supported in XP 64bit and you don't have a dual core xeon, then use that over Windows 7 64bit. It's faster in every respect)

Plus you should all be writing cross platform code anyway! even if you're a delphi fan, it will very soon be on linux too.

EDIT : (I do run OSX inside a virtual machine, but I hate it and it's only there for when I can be bothered to test my code. I personally, don't need computers to be simplified. There comes a point where all that user friendly crap becomes a hindrance, I abstract my objects, not my OS!)
    Last edited by phibermon; 09-10-2010 at 02:22 PM.
    When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123