View Poll Results: Do you...

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • NOT own any Mac. PC all the way!

23 63.89%
  • want to own some kind of Mac, but not yet.

6 16.67%
  • own and old (pre-Intel) Mac.

0 0%
  • own an iMac!

4 11.11%
  • own a Mac Book, Mac Book Pro or a Mac Book Air!

2 5.56%
  • own a Mac Pro!

0 0%
  • own a Mac Mini!

1 2.78%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here has a Mac?

Blog Entries

Re: Who here has a Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777
    Well, it's the TOS, and the price. I wanted to make OS X and iPhone apps some time in the future. But to get a Mac and an iPhone would cost me a lot of money (more than I make in half a year currently). A Mac alone would cost me a lot, and there is no cheap Mac computer (not an Intel based one anyway) around here. I can build a fully functional computer for about 400$ that can run Windows 7 and any Linux distribution (together with a monitor). I cannot find a fully functional intel-based Mac for 400$, not even a used one.
    Ah well like I mentioned before the TOS would only apply to iPhone and iPad. So everyone knows (because I downloaded the SDK myself recently for my system) there are actually 2 SDKs for Development, the Mobile and the Mac ones. I got the Mac one and there was no such TOS saying I couldn't use Pascal. The controversial one is for the Mobile systems only. But if you have your heart set on making mobile apps, I can see why you're a little put off.

And well the price, I can fully see. My Mac wasn't cheap at all, but that's only because I got top of the line, for a change. They don't have anything for $400 USD no, but they do have the new Mac mini for $749. Almost double, but it is what it is right?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

749$ is quite a lot, but here and in the neighbouring countries the price is about 1000 - 1100$ (converted from local currencies including taxes). That's overpriced considering the specifications of the Mini. Well, I'll probably get a Mac in the future (probably when I get rich ), unless they do decide to mess with the OS X TOS too.
    Existence is pain

Blog Entries

dont own a mac, never intend to. have pc with vista, xp 7 and ubuntu 10.04 tls (i think, since its been updating like crazy lately with all the betas...). Can work with all of them quite well.

things i hate about mac: its all GUI. whatever hapened to the fun of getting down n dirty with the command line eh? Oh, and its all over-priced and proprietary.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

sounds like some one is jealous they can't afford it

MacOS is built on unix and yes it can do down and dirty.

The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Blog Entries

Oh yes, I use my Terminal app from time to time. Not that I like doing it though, I personally prefer my IDEs and other RAD tools. (Yes, I went there! )
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I would love to get a Mac of some flavour - laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad, etc. but I don't have the $$ for it

Oh well, perhaps after I win the Lotto! LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

Apple just recently updated/upgraded all their iProducts. iMacs have newer Graphics cards/processors, iPod Nano/Touch have been modified too. Might be your last opportunity to get an iPod Classic soon though. I heard that Steve Jobs didn't address it in his last big technology line-up. Of course it could just mean that other than size, they are leaving it alone because it serves it's purpose other than future capacity increases. (160GB currently)
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    For all you people that checked that you had a Mac, I've created a 'Mac Users' group for you to join and see who are the best people to ask Mac-related questions. http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com....php?groupid=3
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Last month i took the step towards mac. ipad and mac-mini. Windows more and more annoyed me, so i went to linux, but also linux is not much better, i almost spend more time maintaining and optimizing it as using it. I had been running a test with osx on virtualbox before and decided i liked its simplicity. The only thing i slowly get used to is, that closing a screen does not close the application.

The console of mac feels just like a linux console. Bad thing is that even seems to have perl pre-installed, but then again i do not have to use that. The feature i like most is the timemachine bringing instant backups all the time to my nas. (using a tutorial on the inet i made it behave like a timecapsule).

This weekend i made it to running my test ipad app on the real ipad. So i hope to publish it on the appstore within a month or so.

But for my server tasks i will stay to use linux. Linux just is not ready for day to day usage...
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries
    I'm starting to think that there needs to be a Mac development forum soon. It's starting to get more and more popular, yet there is still lacking good tutorials and information on it. For example how to install Lazarus on Mac OS X nicely.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast