Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Bobs - Game for Windows, Linux and iPhone

Sushi Quest - Game for Windows, Linux and iPhone

Hello!
    After working with C++ for some time, I came back to Pascal, and here is my current project, Three Bobs.
    It is about three different cat-balls, each one with a different ability, a mix of a puzzle game and a platformer.
    I've been working on it since beginning of this month, and this is going to be a commercial project, since I want to show that commercial games can also be made with Pascal.

Maybe some of you remember the LEAF engine, that I released some years ago, I improved it greatly, and here it is, the first game using it. I'm going to release versions for Windows, Linux, Mac and iPhone, I'm using FPC, both the Windows and Linux versions are already working.
    The problem is, I still don't have an iPhone, I need to buy one, and so, I did not start yet porting it, but I've read that FPC fully supports iPhone, and I really hope so, I dont' want to rewrite the game in C!
    If anyone here have some experience working with FPC and iPhone (and openGL ES), please tell me your experience.
    Also, I'm looking for some pascal crossplatform library (with support for iPhone) for decoding ogg or mp3, is one of the things I'm missing (I'm using OpenAL for sound, but using wav files for music is not aceptable)

Two videos, the first one is a small intro, and the second one, with some gameplay.

Please tell me what you think, thank you!
    Last edited by Relfos; 12-04-2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: You can embed video right into the posts now! :)

Blog Entries
    Hey, what a great looking game so far.

Well whatever language you use, you'll need a Mac to compile for the iPhone. No IFs, ANDs or BUTs. There may be work-arounds, but if you want your game working on a physical iPhone or even an iPod Touch, you need the iOS SDK obtained by signing up (for FREE) to the Apple Developer program that will install to a Mac for use with Xcode. This part is a must no matter what language you use.

If you want to use FPC, then that's no problem as FPC has scripts that integrate the compiler with Xcode allowing you to use templates that use the FPC compiler instead and do Object Pascal syntax highlighting instead of that for Objective-C.

So in short, that's your road to the iOS platform. Others have posted Pascal-made apps to the iTunes App Store quite easily. For example there is; Drawn, Hedgewars and Stoney's efforts as well.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hi Relfos !

Amazing : Definetely. Technicaly cool and a I love the game design (Scene with barrels is great)
    I'm happy to know you come back on Pascal Scene with leaf : I liked play with few years ago. Improved engine is yet available ?

Good luck for the commercial road !

Nice game. I hope we can play with it soon. Will you sell Linux versions of the game? There are very few commertial games for Linux.

And I want to see these improvements to your LEAF engine too. May be you remember I asked for it some time ago. Will you release it for free?
    Last edited by Ñuño Martínez; 24-01-2011 at 01:10 PM.
    No signature provided yet.

That looks really nice. Colorfull graphics. Me likes!

A few tips:

Some people may find the bouncing noise annoying after playing for a long time. Maybe you can change it to make it less obvious, or play different sounds for more variation. Also, when you are inside a building, it would be nice to have thick walls. Now they are just simple poly's. You might also want to replace your explosion particles with more transparent ones. You can now clearly distinguish the different particles.

I noticed every object has a shadow. What kind of technique do you use for shadowing?

Keep it up. Would love to see more!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Thank you all for the replies! And is really nice to know that others already released games for iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinzvega View Post
    Hi Relfos !
    I'm happy to know you come back on Pascal Scene with leaf : I liked play with few years ago. Improved engine is yet available ?
    Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    And I want to see these improvements to your LEAF engine too. May be you remember I asked for it some time ago. Will you release it for free?
    I'm still thinking what to do about the engine, I'll probably release it to the community in the future, but for now, I just use it for my projects, afterall, I spent years working on it, so I want to make good use of it before giving it for free. Also, what I've seen of other projects like GLScene, everything is component based, and my engine doesn't use any components or forms, it is 100% non visual code, so I don't know how much interest there is for a engine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez View Post
    Nice game. I hope we can play with it soon. Will you sell Linux versions of the game? There are very few commertial games for Linux.
    Yes, I will release if for Linux, is true there's few commercial games there, so that's one of the reasons I'm investing some time porting it

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    I noticed every object has a shadow. What kind of technique do you use for shadowing?
    The engine supports both shadow mapping and shadow volumes (the latter is the technique used in the video). One of the nice things of this engine is that it scales the features automatically based on the hardware it is running, so on a high end pc it makes full use of GLSL shaders, and on weaker pcs, it just uses the old openGL fixed pipeline.
    The engine even runs on Nintendo DS, however the lack of floating point and only 4mb of memory makes the game unplayable there.
    Also thank you for the tips, I will look into it! The explosion itself is not alpha blended because I was trying to achieve something similar to the explosions on Zelda: Wind Waker. I probably need to sort the particles to avoid the popping, maybe then it looks better.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Relfos View Post
    Yes, I will release if for Linux, is true there's few commercial games there, so that's one of the reasons I'm investing some time porting it
    Hmmm should I ask if it'll be likely that I can eventually play your game on my Mac? If the code is already Windows/Linux compatible, I can't see why it wouldn't compile for Mac OS X if you had access to one. It would even take you one step closer to getting the game onto an iOS device.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hmmm should I ask if it'll be likely that I can eventually play your game on my Mac? If the code is already Windows/Linux compatible, I can't see why it wouldn't compile for Mac OS X if you had access to one. It would even take you one step closer to getting the game onto an iOS device.
    Yes, it should, and will run on Mac, I'm going to buy one next month, so I can start porting this to both Mac and iPhone

I'm here again with some more news about this project.
    It is already running on Windows, Linux, Mac and iPhone, I'm now thinking about supporting Android in the future, but sadly there's not much info about FPC + Android around yet.

Here's a new video:

Wow. this is looking quite good. The music is odd though, it sort of works, but it doesn't seem to fit this type of game imo. The sound effects go nicely with the music though. Whereas the bumping sound in the last video tends to be a bit annoying after a while, it's much better in this video.
    I also like the newer graphics. It's more colorful this time.

Keep it up!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast