Thread: [SDL] X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

[SDL] X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

Hey guys

I'm running into a really annoying problem. My engine, which is based on SDL does compile but SDL_SetVideoMode() fails with the error:

X11 driver not configured with OpenGL
    I've tried a number of things to fix this:

> Reinstalled graphics drivers a couple of times (was quite a hastle)
    > Rebuild SDL (./configure; make; sudo make install)
    > Tested the SDL demo's in the "test" directory (not JEDI-SDL, the original one).
    Things like: testalpha and testbitmap worked. However, testgl gave me the following message:

No OpenGL support on this system
    glxinfo returns the following: http://pastebin.com/Wx7g7NQt

Can somebody help me?

Thanks in advance
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Re: [SDL] X11 driver not configured with OpenGL

You didn't mention your operating system and graphics card. If Linux, does it have all the latest updates? I had 1 card in the past that just wouldn't cooperate and put 3D working...

I assume other games don't have 3D working either (unless its in somekind of software emulation mode)?

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10 and my GFX card is: Geforce 8600GT.

I know for sure that it worked in the past. I think a recent kernel update made things break.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Have you tried reinstalling your graphic card driver?
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Ubuntu is now in version 10.04 LTS. I have also the same graphics card and it worked before and after update - for hardware accelerated 3D.

Yes, it's mentioned in my startpost.

I've managed to solve the issue by myself.

First of all, I discovered that uninstalling my "compiled" SDL versions (1.2 and 1.3) made some games (like extremetux-racer) work again. They would be using the SDL shared objects that were provided with ubuntu (in /usr/lib).

After some more searching, I found out that when running ./configure in my SDL1.2 directory, the following line would show up:

checking for OpenGL (GLX) support... no
    So, I opened configure.in to see the reason. I found out that GL/glu.h could not be found.
    Thanks to apt-file, I found out that the GL/glu.h was part of the libglu1-mesa-dev package, which I installed.
    After running ./configure; make; sudo make install; openGL support was detected and everything WORKED again!

The issue was that the original error message pointed me in the wrong direction. It took me several hours before I started blaming my compiled SDL library.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Yes, it's mentioned in my startpost.
    Uh, sorry, I must have missed that.

I'm glad you got the issue fixed.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Do you really need to use apt-get, would SDL be easier to install with Synaptic?

Hmmm.. well Synaptic can be used I guess.

For some reason however, my engine couldn't link against the SDL library located in /usr/lib. Also, I want to experiment with SDL1.3, which you have to download from the repository anyway. I ended up downloading the sources of both SDL1.2 and 1.3 and compiling them (dont forget to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf so that the new shared objects can be found).

Most importantly, I learned how to compile and install things on linux which is a valuable skill