My experience with any kind of networking in any language is what I'd call "extremely limited". That said, I'd like to make a game that uses a bit of networking once before I die, and would be interested in what advice / help the community could give me.

From reading the posts in this section spread over the years, the general consensus seems to be pascal networking =

It's a little discouraging, but I'd still like to give it a try. As mentioned somewhere, I'm working with Delphi 7 at the moment. My skillz aren't particularly l33t or anything. I don't really have any Lazarus / Freepascal etc. experience, either. Thus, from what I've read here, it sounds like I'd want to use something called Indy. Also sounds like Indy 10 isn't particularly user-friendly but that it IS linux compatible. I'm not sure where / how I can get whichever version of this I should attempt to familiarize myself with.

UDP vs TCP/IP?

I don't really know what advice to follow, also, as some of the posts here are quite old, and some are pretty new. Would appreciate any starting links, pointers in the right direction, or general advice anyone could give me.