Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, my darn internet provider had me flailing around all my network router and system settings trying to figure out that "there is nothing wrong with the internet connection" really means that "your connection is faulty and we are flat out lying to you while you are factory defaulting your router trying to fix it while it's already working just fine." *ahem* please excuse the mini-rant.

A lot of new games are using the new TV resolution of 1080p HD (1920x1080) as a flashy new standard for their releases. In fact a lot of games like the updated 'The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition' has had it's graphics redrawn for 1080p for those that are jumping at the new HD screens for all their entertainment. This is an option if you...

1) Have one. Don't develop for something that you don't have the hardware for. It sucks, been there.

2) Can generate art, visuals and gameplay that will be worth the extra resolution.

1024x768 is a decent resolution and has been the ceiling for most systems for a while and it's fairly safe to use today. If your game uses 3D graphics or vector graphics of some sort, you could allow for higher resolutions of the same 1024x768 aspect and just resize accordingly. Some people with the higher resolution screens may appreciate that (I for example have higher than 1080p, it's 2560x1440 on my iMac 27" screen) but don't get too hung up on it because we can still darn-well open it up in a window.