Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ludum Dare 18

Ludum Dare 18

Just a friendly reminder: Next week-end, on August 20th to 22nd it's once more time for Ludum Dare. Last time we had three Pascal entries. I am quite sure we can beat that.

I'm looking forward to see a lot of FreePascal/Delphi entries.
    (Unfortunately I am at gamescom in Cologne on that week-end, I will try to make a game there, which will be an additional challenge but my game probably won't be written in Pascal.)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Re: Ludum Dare 18

Sounds like fun, and maybe, if I can convince the wife and kids, I can try this year . Quick question (after reading the "new rules"): Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around? IE: Can I use the opengl stuff I've been working on and just build on top of it (I'd say its just above raw access) or do I have to do it all 100% from scratch again?

- Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around?
    You can use any base code but you have to post a link to your base code on the LD site before the competition starts.
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Sweet stuff... Hopefully I won't go too big this time . Got myself in a serious twist with LD17.

Hope there will be more Pascal entries this time. C'mon peoples

Although I entered last time (and with a Pascal entry), I'm not sure if I'll enter this time. School's started, and developing a game from scratch in Pascal is a very time consuming process. If I can think of an extremely simple game to create based on the theme chosen, I'll spend one of two available days to make a game. But alas, not enough time in the world.

The new rules are online: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/rules/
    Basically, Ludum Dare splits itself up into two categories:

- Competition
    Everything we knew and loved about Ludum Dare: You have 48h to create a game by yourself, everything from scratch* and you have to publish the source code afterwards.
    *but you can use an engine or a framework or your own basecode

- Jam
    This one is new. You have up to 72 hours to create a game, teams are allowed and you can use any assets you want. You don't have to publish the source code of your game.

Competition entries will be judged, jam entries won't. If you enter the jam you are allowed to judge competition entries.

So I'm curious, has anyone here entered in this one yet?

I have sort of an idea but I am not sure if I am going to

If I was, I would use Jarrod's HGE though

cheers,
    Paul

I did enter, although I really don't have much or any time for that matter and I'm using a JavaScript framework instead of a Pascal one.

I'm having bit of a go this time, but I'm only going to get a few hours to do it as I am too busy again

I am trying a game where you fly around in a small ship with enemies trying to blast you or similar.

The trick is, that you only have a weapon that can control some of the enemies for a short time, and not destroy them directly.

I am using a pixel ships applet (http://www.davebollinger.com/works/pixelspaceships) to generate some ships that I will then use in the game, and I will be using sfxr of course for audio

I am also using Jarrod's HGE (Hadron Game Engine) too...

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Does from scratch mean I can't use any code I have lying around?
    You can use any base code but you have to post a link to your base code on the LD site before the competition starts.
    OH? drat! I didn't notice that small bit about having to post the base code online before the compo starts!

I guess this means my entry will be invalid (if I ever complete it anyway)

cheers,
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast