Thread: Delphi 6 & Windows 7

Delphi 6 & Windows 7

Hi everyone. I decided to post here in the hope that someone had the same problem and can offer some advice. I use Delphi 6 as IDE for my game projects and recently I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7.

Delphi is running fine but some of my projects won't compile. It is not a library dependent problem as projects with and without DirectX will/will not compile. So the problem must be with my Delphi version or with Windows 7.

I took total ownership of Program files but the problem still persist, I do not want to re-install Delphi to c:\.

Any ideas?
    Wake up from the dream and live your life to the full

Re: Delphi 6 & Windows 7

Did you try running Delphi as administrator (right click shortcut, open properties etc)? Also, by "won't compile" what does it mean, what happens?

Yes, I tried running it as Administrator and no change. I also changed compatibility to Vista and XP but no change. Before Win 7 I had Vista ultimate and everything worked 100 %.

By not compiling I mean the following:

Open project.
    Press F9 or green arrow to compile.
    Delphi briefly sais running but nothing happens, the project does not compile and it returns to design time interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard
    ...some of my projects won't compile...
    It does seem like project-dependant problem then? Folder rights, unit paths, used components or something...

I just installed Delphi 7 in Win7 and tried a couple of old applications (some including DelphiX) with no issues. Didn't change any rights or run in admin or anything.

It does seem like project-dependant problem then? Folder rights, unit paths, used components or something...

I just installed Delphi 7 in Win7 and tried a couple of old applications (some including DelphiX) with no issues. Didn't change any rights or run in admin or anything.
    Just to update. I started changing user rights and ownership (hint: Do NOT do this) to test and eventually had to re-install Windows. Now running Windows 7, SP1 (Beta) and after re-installing Delphi 6 as administrator everything is working again...pweew!!!

Blog Entries
    Hrm... lessons learned I see. I wonder though, how does Turbo Delphi function on Windows 7?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sadly, Turbo Delphi isn't available anymore (source). So I guess we'll never know the answer to your question.