Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The move to vBulletin Update

Blog Entries

The move to vBulletin Update

Hey guys, I just wanted to give everyone a little update on the status of this little project to help improve PGD. The decision to move to vBulletin from the existing SMF site software was made sometime early this year and we started collecting funds to help in the purchase of the new software. To date, we have collected a grand total of $118.71 Canadian Dollars. The total cost of the software license is $285 US Dollars.

As mentioned before I am willing and will absolutely cover the cost of the rest of the remaining amount. In fact I'd like to make the purchase soon so that we can get the ball rolling.

So you can see somewhat how the new site will look have a gander at this here link, I'm sure you'll be happy with what is available: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php

The new key features will be:
    - News Posting for Staff and Members alike;
    - The same good ole Forums we know and love; and
    - Staff and Member Blogs available here at PGD. Wanted to start one, well here is a place to do it.

Other things that may come of use is... a calendar for those all important events like the PGD Annual, the next Lundum Dare and those NecroSOFT boys and their crazy 48 hour game creation sessions. A listing of recent blog and forum posts... and the ability to link your Facebook account to us.

That's all for now any questions or comments feel free.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: The move to vBulletin Update

Aha.. I've got some good news for you. I still owe you a donation.

Anyone else who hasn't donated yet?? We've gotta narrow that 160$ gap.

Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries

Of course donations are still welcome, If you want to do so through PayPal that's awesome the Donation button is accessible on PGD's main page in the top news post still. If your donation happens to come after I've already purchased the site software I'll just put it towards other things towards the site or things related to community events.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

This should be great!

Thanks for the heads-up Jason

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

If you want to see all the listed features that will be included also have a look at this list. I just found it while looking up more information...

https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

NOTE: We are getting the Publishing Suite not the Forums Classic, so YES there will be Blog capabilities for all of you if you want.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

This is great. I can't wait. I'll try to make a donation one of these days.
    Existence is pain

To be honest I have a divided opinion on this. While I find the new functionalities to be very interesting I also always have thought that vBulletin has a too cluttered UI.

Just my 2 cents

Donated!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Hey guys, I just wanted to give everyone a little update on the status of this little project to help improve PGD. The decision to move to vBulletin from the existing SMF site software was made sometime early this year
    The new key features will be:
    - News Posting for Staff and Members alike;
    I don't see how you can NOT do that in SMF...

- The same good ole Forums we know and love; and
    - Staff and Member Blogs available here at PGD. Wanted to start one, well here is a place to do it.
    Same here. I've been offering blogs for users (with admin panel and stuff) at http://noisen.com for the last 3 years. It's using custom code, but I'm working on a mod for doing that, and there are already plenty of blog mods for SMF.

I'm sorry, it's just that I don't understand your reason for moving to another forum software, paid-for at that, instead of trying out SMF2, which is stable enough in my opinion. (I've been using it ever since I opened noisen.com)
    I could understand a move to IPB, which is relatively nice, or the free PunBB, which is faster on slow servers (and yours looks like it's a very slow server, or at least a slow connection to France).

Interestingly, I spent some time at SMF developing the software (so I have knowledge in both SMF and Pascal game development), and I can tell you that SMF is to forum software what Delphi is to programming, whereas vBulletin would, fittingly, be Visual Basic (it started out as a forum for VB devs), IPB would be C++ and phpBB would be Fortran.
    I'm now working on a side-project that should hopefully get SMF up to speed in terms of feature set (compared to the commercial competition) on the day SMF2 gets out. Consider it a super-mod that implements everything that should be in a modern forum system -- for free.

Just my two cents. Don't switch until you've at least tried SMF2 RC3 (or the upcoming final RC.)

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nao
    Same here. I've been offering blogs for users (with admin panel and stuff) at http://noisen.com for the last 3 years. It's using custom code, but I'm working on a mod for doing that, and there are already plenty of blog mods for SMF.

I'm sorry, it's just that I don't understand your reason for moving to another forum software, paid-for at that, instead of trying out SMF2, which is stable enough in my opinion. (I've been using it ever since I opened noisen.com)
    I could understand a move to IPB, which is relatively nice, or the free PunBB, which is faster on slow servers (and yours looks like it's a very slow server, or at least a slow connection to France).

Interestingly, I spent some time at SMF developing the software (so I have knowledge in both SMF and Pascal game development), and I can tell you that SMF is to forum software what Delphi is to programming, whereas vBulletin would, fittingly, be Visual Basic (it started out as a forum for VB devs), IPB would be C++ and phpBB would be Fortran.
    I'm now working on a side-project that should hopefully get SMF up to speed in terms of feature set (compared to the commercial competition) on the day SMF2 gets out. Consider it a super-mod that implements everything that should be in a modern forum system -- for free.

Just my two cents. Don't switch until you've at least tried SMF2 RC3 (or the upcoming final RC.)
    The thing is, as we've said time and time again.... we (the admins) are all pretty busy and building a site with all that functionality requires us to install numerous mods. This raises issues relating to setup time and maintenance. All too often when you're using mods, you have to wait on upgrading the core site software until all the mods are compatible. This is a problem. It also takes a lot longer than just updating one all encompassing suite of software like vBulletin.

We want to simplify site maintenance so we can spend more time doing interesting things for the site, like writing articles etc.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast