Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The move to vBulletin Update

Blog Entries

Re: The move to vBulletin Update

Well that's the main thing, all other options seem to have led to more massive mountains of work just to get what is already available for a small cost considering what we could be paying for a fully custom site. And should we need to update we would have to practically set up everything again. An all-in-one software allows the staff to focus more on you guys and other organizing of events rather that just trying to keep the site pages working for you to use the site.

All that said, I've just received another donation closing the gap further for the cost amount and I'm getting ready to make the purchase soon. Anyone else what to chip in please feel free, anything will help.

Also if you would like to become a part of the staff once the new site is up to help reignite some excitement around here, please feel free to PM me and we'll see what job position we can give you.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Re: The move to vBulletin Update

Seriously, SMF2 RC3 has most of the 'important' mods up to date. Even in the days of SMF2 Beta, when none of the mods were ready, I converted them by myself. It only took a few hours for the largest ones. It's certainly no harder than programming a game
    I could do the move to SMF for you if you'd like and if you're too busy. I wouldn't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Well that's the main thing, all other options seem to have led to more massive mountains of work just to get what is already available for a small cost considering what we could be paying for a fully custom site.
    But what's particularly different on your website? I don't see anything special, if you don't mind me saying...
    Now look at http://noisen.com -- now that's a heavily customized website. This one (pgd) could actually benefit a lot from upgrading to SMF2.

And should we need to update we would have to practically set up everything again. An all-in-one software allows the staff to focus more on you guys
    That you think. vBulletin4's release was very controversial. It led to the departure of their main programmer. I'm not sure it's as stable as it pretends to be.

All that said, I've just received another donation closing the gap further for the cost amount and I'm getting ready to make the purchase soon. Anyone else what to chip in please feel free, anything will help.
    Seriously, if you have to BUY a software package, go for Invision instead. It's much better in every respect. It's only slightly better than the current SMF2, and even Invision isn't going to be able to compare when the new SMF project that is being built is released. Just don't do anything you could regret later, that's all. Converting from one forum to another, and then back again is not particularly easy either.

Also if you would like to become a part of the staff once the new site is up to help reignite some excitement around here, please feel free to PM me and we'll see what job position we can give you.
    I'm not really kind of an "animator", more of a technician (programming stuff, remember?). Maintaining a forum isn't really a "job" to me...

How can I donate?
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Ok, I restate the question:
    How can I donate other way than PayPal?
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Not sure if that is possible. I just used Paypal. You should PM WILL and ask for alternatives.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Hi Darthman, I'm glad you want to donate, every little bit helps. Every big bit helps too.

The account that takes donations for PGD and Pascal Gamer Magazine is held by PayPal so all means of donating money electronically is done by PayPal. I've been told that specific regions have a hard time with PayPal due to policies or availability. This is unfortunate, because the main reason for using the PayPal service is to be able to record, track and manage all donations paperlessly. It would be too much to retain records for legal reasons should any of these were to be on paper only. And yes, I do keep very good records of every donation and transaction of expenses.

If you want to see just about every way to donate to a PayPal account, you can go to www.paypal.com and read what options they give you.

At one time we had merchandise that we were selling through an online storefront (Cafe Press) with PGD logos and such, but it wasn't a huge success. This is something we could start back up should the interest re-spark.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I am not very happy with vbulletin upgrade, or mostly the theme.

The forum and topic graphics - icons and colors are now super-unclear on indicating what is new and what was already read.

Also there's still too many forum sections, i said this around 5 years ago.. there's forum sections with like 30 threads total and last updated earlier than 2010.. In essence the forum still looks like a mess

Edit:
    I think there's better and more functional free forums such as PHPBB V3, there's no real reason to use vBulletin.

Also.. [pascal] [/pascal] doesn't work..
    Last edited by JernejL; 20-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

The forum and topic graphics - icons and colors are now super-unclear on indicating what is new and what was already read.
    I agree that the Icons on the forums could be made alot clearer, but I don't see why you shouldn't just use the "what's new" button?

Also there's still too many forum sections, i said this around 5 years ago.. there's forum sections with like 30 threads total and last updated earlier than 2010.. In essence the forum still looks like a mess
    This has obviously nothing to do with vBulletin. But I agree. we could remove a few forum sections, for example:

> Jobs and resum?©s (noone seems to use it)
    > PP Compiler forum
    > Kylix IDE/Compiler forum
    > XCESS GD kit forum

It seems to me that only popular libaries (and those with alot of threads) deserve their own subforum.
    Also, the whole sound/music section could be merged into one subforum. Same for the story/documentation and graphics/modelling sections.
    We should keep in mind the PGD forums are mainly geared towards programmers. Artists and storywriters will most likely ask their questions at Gamedev.net or somewhere else. I rather see 10 subforums that are actively used than 30 subforums that are deserted and outdated.

I'm pretty sure that merging forums can be cumbersome (never done it myself), so I don't expect anything to happen soon. Just saying that I agree with delfi's point.

An odd issue when posting a new thread: There is no formatting toolbar anywhere.. it's there in quick reply but not in new thread / post advanced form.. wtf?
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast