Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What about tutorials & Articles?

What about tutorials & Articles?

You'll excuse me, but I didn't understood the goal of the team if everybody can write ... Anyway I'd like to join you ... Since I'm having some knowledge I'm ready to share with others (but some not a lot)

But I'm like Will ... I'm not sure that I'll have a lot of time to contribute ... Anyway, I guess that I'll be able to spend more than 10 minutes a week for this project ...

The lack of documents about Game development with Delphi should motivate (not sure this word really exists) everybody to help DGDEV being the best site on Game Dev with Delphi

I've already got some tuts(in French but I can easily translate into English), so if you need anything Say it to me

Bye

Blog Entries

So what about Turbo and Savage? I think that Dominique will be interesed for sure, since he's already "partnered" with DGDev anyways... Turbo would be a great asset to us here aswell...

...and would you mind BlueCat if I pssed the word around about this thread? Turbo is dying for news. lol

Interested people so far(other than BlueCat )

WILL
    Traveler
    Shadowcore

I think that a general call for people interested wouldn't hurt. BlueCat?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Avatar, Shadowcore, Traveler: Thanks, your help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    So what about Turbo and Savage? I think that Dominique will be interesed for sure, since he's already "partnered" with DGDev anyways... Turbo would be a great asset to us here aswell...
    Yeah I'm sure Dom will be very interested in what we're planning to do. When we have a better idea of what are plans are, we'll need to talk about how it will change our role as the 'DelphiGamer forums'.

...and would you mind BlueCat if I pssed the word around about this thread? Turbo is dying for news. lol
    I don't mind at all!

I think that a general call for people interested wouldn't hurt. BlueCat?
    Definitely. Anyone who can help out in any way is welcome.

Who thinks it's a good idea to have our own usergroup and a private forum? It's worked well for the DGDev game project team (OK we're not the fastest game developers in the world but we're getting there ).

It's not that I think we should exclude anyone from discussing new ideas or making suggestions, that can be done in this forum. I've found from experience that making it private gives you more of a feeling that it's a team effort rather than just a public discussion. It also helps people to get to know each other better. I wouldn't really want to post FTP passwords in a public forum either :twisted:

Everyone can still discuss anything in the other forums, I'm not trying to exclude anyone from the process, just need to a way to see 'who's in and who's not' Either way, we could do with a forum, private or not.

I may be wrong, I'm just going on past experience.

So there's 5 of us now, that's enough to call ourselves a team. Just choose a name and we'll get started :lol:

We could pass the word on Flipcode too ... if Turbo doesn't do it (I knew dgdev here).

Who thinks it's a good idea to have our own usergroup and a private forum? It's worked well for the DGDev game project team (OK we're not the fastest game developers in the world but we're getting there ).
    I guess it's a good idea to have a private forum, but only for writing ... So that other people could read on what we are actually working. This could be a good way to show other people what is the point of that team and that could help us to recruit other members

For the name ... hmmm ... no idea for the moment

Bye

I can think of a number of reasons why this is a good idea, but also why this is a bad idea. This forum was (and still is) meant for every delphigamer to express their ideas and thoughts.
    If people have ideas, let them post those. And if they don't have any then let them read about the ideas of others. We are working on an important fase in the Delphi Games Community, we can't shut people out from that?!

On the other hand, we do need a (selected) group to filter out those ideas. A group of people who are going to carefully decide which ideas are to be realized and which won't.

My suggestion would be, great 2 threads. One where everybody may write their ideas in, and one where the selected view can discuss about the ideas, written in the first thread.

Perhaps I'm going too fast with the next thing, but there is a matter which hasn't come up yet. One that might be something to think about.
    Say we do decide to put DGDev technically at the same level as flipcode and Gamedev. I mean with all the options I wrote earlier and the stuff you all come up with.
    Who is going to build and especially maintain it? The same people who are going to be in this group? I personally wouldn't mind helping out, I can do both layout and coding. I have lot's of code from my own site which we can use, plus experience as a webprogrammer. (Note that I'm not talking about writting articles or tutorials here, just building and maintaining the site. )

What I was trying to say about Turbo and DelphiGamer is that, if we really are going to do this, then it's like putting a shopping center next to a grocery. People will eventually stop going to the grocery, because they can find everything they need in the shopping center. It's not a very pleasant thing for the owners of the grocery, who worked so hard for the cause. I think the least we can do is find a solution for this.

As for the name issue. I would keep it at DGDev. It's something people know by know. Plus, it's also the in the url.

Yes Traveler, the last thing we'd want to do is upset anyone else or 'put their grocery out of business' - that's assuming we could even do that if we tried.

We just want to provide the community with something that isn't already there. DGDev is a good meeting place for the people who regularly visit game development sites (including DelphiGamer and Turbo) and it's something you couldn't have found a year ago (at least I couldn't).

So we've made something that we needed but wasn't there and I think we should carry on doing that. There shouldn't be any competition between sites and I don't think any of the people involved would even contemplate that idea. Let's just help each other out and give the members of our community more opportunities to give something back, in the form of tutorials, articles, whatever.

It's really not about making a busy site just for the sake of it (I don't like the thought of bandwidth charges anyway :lol. The problem with the site being quiet is that we know there are lots of people out there who want to see more and maybe pass right through here because they get the impression there's not much going on.

We just need to work out what it is we don't have and then work out how to make it happen.

If people don't want a private group we can be public, it really doesn't matter as long as the majority are happy. I certainly don't mind either way :roll:

Hi all,
    Will told me about the thread. I have read through it but do not have a clear picture of what you are trying to achieve. Could someone sum up what your plans are and where you are heading and how you think DelphiGamer will fit in, if at all.

As you can imagine, as other projects take up my time, DelphiGamer is starting to suffer a little, but I still think it has not achieved it's full potential yet.

So anyway, clarify your points and I will see if I can help or be of assistance somehow.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Blog Entries

Wow, that was alot of ideas to read.
    And BlueCat snuck a post in there right when I was reading too. :lol: All good.

:arrow: Well first was the admin/staff forums: BlueCat had a good point about the passwods for FTP, etc here. I think that Avatar's idea of having them write only by us and read only by everyone is a pretty good idea. How would we handle the passwords and private staff information though? I think that this will ultimately dictate weither or not we are to have a private forum for us alone. Problems and issues and unsure ideas can be discussed here.

:idea: We obviously would want use it to discuss things that we wish to "keep it within the family". This is something I've learned with the Army(served 6 years), if you have to rag on buddy for doing something stupid you do it in private. Some times in more than one person so together, but in PRIVATE. You don't want to embarase them and make all of us look bad. Just something else to consider amoung the other reasons.

:arrow: There is the concern of putting other sites out of business: This is a fair question. I've been to, I think(might just be assuming I have) mostly all of what the Delphi Game Dev comunities major sites around(I do count Traveler's as one). Turbo and DelphiGamer seem to be the main ones right now. Though interest in them might ween towards us due to the "One Site One Community" attraction, we are inviting them to come and join the new site so that that thunder isn't stolen. If they want to stick to their sites then I'm sure we would not falt them for it a single bit, but I think that by enlisting the two(but not limiting to them) into one would multiply interest in the Delphi community. I think that we get more just based on the thought of more frequent updates in news.

:!: Just a heads up guys: I have just dropped a line to Turbo(comment on his site and email), Savage(email) and Bobby(his forums).

:?: Are we going to use the same existing script used here for the forums? Just modify them? I would LOVE to keep these forums the functionality is really nice, but we may have to narrow down to a single theme (or two if feesable?).

:arrow: Just to throw up my credentials:
    - PHP (just over the last year or so, but caught on really quickly)
    - JavaScript (if I have to, but not that great at it)
    - Delphi 3/5/6/7 (be in awe... :shock <-- actually about 5 years running...
    - Flash 3/5/MX (I'm rusty though)
    - In-line ASM (Denthor was the man back in the day!)
    - I can cook a mean stir-fry?

:idea: Name Ideas(Doubt it'll change though):
    - DelGamDev.com/tk/net
    - DelphiGameDev.com/tk/net
    - DelphiGD.com/tk/net

Awe heck, it's good as it is...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Hi all,
    Will told me about the thread. I have read through it but do not have a clear picture of what you are trying to achieve. Could someone sum up what your plans are and where you are heading and how you think DelphiGamer will fit in, if at all.

As you can imagine, as other projects take up my time, DelphiGamer is starting to suffer a little, but I still think it has not achieved it's full potential yet.

So anyway, clarify your points and I will see if I can help or be of assistance somehow.

Hi

I don't think we have a clear picture ourselves yet. But the basic idea is that we plan to improve DGDev by adding new features and thereby making it more than just forums. This might affect DGDev's ability to be DelphiGamer's forums but we just don't know until we get our team sorted out and starting talking about things.

It's important that you know what's going on from the start Savage, and if you have any ideas, whether or not they include DelphiGamer, they'd be welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Though interest in them might ween towards us due to the "One Site One Community" attraction, we are inviting them to come and join the new site so that that thunder isn't stolen. If they want to stick to their sites then I'm sure we would not falt them for it a single bit, but I think that by enlisting the two(but not limiting to them) into one would multiply interest in the Delphi community. I think that we get more just based on the thought of more frequent updates in news.
    Now Will's talking about something a step further than I talked about above :shock: .

BTW Will, we can have a stir-fry recipe section if you'd like :lol:

[edit] I'll reply to your post later Will, not enough time right now

When DelphiGamer.com started our aim as also to be the "One site One community" portal for all things Pascal and game development orientated. But as Dean is quite busy and I am mainly the only one updating content, it is falling behind a bit.

I think that as a united community to game development, both DGDev and DG.com will reach a wider audience, but I also have no problem with the possibility of this new DGDev site being a competitor to DelphiGamer.com as my aim has always been to compliment other sites like Turbo and anything that furthers the Pascal game development community is OK by me.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast