Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What about tutorials & Articles?

What about tutorials & Articles?

I also have no problem with the possibility of this new DGDev site being a competitor to DelphiGamer.com as my aim has always been to compliment other sites like Turbo and anything that furthers the Pascal game development community is OK by me.
    I don't think that competition is a good idea for us ... Why not trying to make some kind of Network ... This time my example wouldn't be Flipcode but Gamedev ...

Tuts and Articles on Gamedev doesn't always belong to gamedev ... But they promote some other sites as Gamasutra or less famous gaming sites by putting links to these sites.

We could do the same thing for DGdev and DG and Turbo ...

Another possibility would be to group the 3 sites in order to build a huge ressource site .

Now ... about the site itself. I can't really help you building the site(since I suck at PHP, Java and Javascript). However I can help in writing tutorials.
    Personnaly, I admit that I have no professional experience(because I'm still a student), anyway I can write articles mainly on DirectX, after that I've also some skills in algorithmics and I'm going to interest myself in AI.

For the name, I guess a simple : Delphi Game Developpers would be sufficient, wouldn't it ?

iLLUNis

I have been following the discussion for the las days and i have come to a few main conclusions....
    The DGDEV site is short in members...(dont tell me... )....the reason in my opinion though is much more obvious than you may think.....
    The DGDEv site was born with the idea to bring Delphi programmers together which is more than fine but also to bring ***NEW*** users of Delphi to the community.....HOW do you do that?......

-For the duration of the DGDEV site i have seen people coming and discussing several subjects concerning Delphi game programming issues involving HIGHLY technical stuff....(you see where i am getting here)....

-If a newby was to join and try to keep up with all that...well i am sorry to dissapoint you but he/she would not stay....What they want is clear and close to English information of why this is happening and what can be done about a specific problem....

-This takes us to the tutorials area.....In my opinion the Tutorials should be clearly marked and have their own place in the forum...I personally consider them to be a major and undivided part of a Delphi community that wants to help.....

-Secondly the tutorials included in the tutorial area are fine but just not quite there....A newby that will come here will try to find out how to use for the first time sprites and how can he/she move them and actually contro them....I dont see anything like that in the tutorials.....I also dont see anything about HOWTOS in intialising 2D/3D engines and all these "magical" stuff that we all take for granted.....well a newby WILL NOT.....and this will make the difference whether he/she will be coming back or not....

-I am not saying that people should right now go and start righting tutorials.....I merely say that these subjects should be clearly covered in our site if we want our community to flurish.....

-Considering the development and the progression of the site i could not agree more with the ideas that have been expressed here and i am fully backing them.....

I apologise for this short essay....i just felt i had to express my opinion on that..... ops:

Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow

I've moved the Tutorials forum to the Community category so it's always visible on the front page. Well it's a start......

iLLUNis

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato
    Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow

I've moved the Tutorials forum to the Community category so it's always visible on the front page. Well it's a start......

I never meant to discourage anyone... ....I hope that the opinions i have expressed will be taken as a motivation by all the members that have that EXTRA something to offer to the community.... :salute:

I think it would be easy to divide the responsibilities of the websites to prevent anyone's toes from being stubbed.

DelphiGamer.com is mostly a NEWS site, with frequent updates on new developments within the Delphi scene, with screenshots and information - and as such, a perfect source for new information (better than posts hidden on a forum, for example).

However, DelphiGamer has very few tutorials hidden on their site - DGDev.Tk could concentrate on that asset, along with the forum and any "house" programming projects available.

In the end, I could reasonably imagine a cross-linking - a "News/Updates" link in DGDev.tk leading to DelphiGamer.com, the Articles/Tutorials link on DelphiGamer.com leading to the mutual tutorial section... after all, this is the Internet, and content doesn't HAVE to belong to one or the other. If everyone links to each other, and to this forum, then we should be happy.

In the end, it wouldn't be seperate stores, but two stores with differant entrances and the same backrooms, so to say.

splatty

Blog Entries

iLLUNis: You bring up some very good points and I think we really do need to address them, if not just keep them in mind as we all go here.

:arrow: I'm not too keen on the idea of this turning into a patch-job network or websites. Those never turn out well. AND it would really throw a monkey wrench in trying to help the "new guys" out. It think the proper solution would be to take the two sites and merge them. Seriously... take all the content from DelphiGamer and all the forums and accounts from DGDev and make a new site from it. This whole project needs to be centeralized or it won't take off. As for tutorials and articals, well we will host them here of course, but we could also, like Avatar suggests, do a "GameDev" and have links to tutorials on other sites.

:arrow: Lets face it though, DelphiGamer, Turbo, DGDev(as it is) and any other site out there that does post news about Delphi Game Dev is never going to be as robust and successful as a combined effort project.

:?: I say we should merge them into one single site at one single location. Who agrees with this idea? Savage, would still be doing the same job really, only he'd be a part of a team. LOL Think of it as a job offer. Savage would you like to be the new DGDev's news guy?

[BlueCat is gonna kick me. I keep stirring the pot.]

BTW, I might have to get you do live up to that stir-fry forum(just cuz he promised)...

:arrow: The new staff would have to fill in some requirements if it does go full blown GameDev-a-like though. Thoughts on this?

I'm going to stop here. I think we need to really vote/decide on the details of what will be done now anyways. And see what Savage wants to do aswell. I really hope I don't seem pushy guys, but I just have a few strong opinions on what the Delphi game comuunity's needs. And of course I'd really like to see this idea take off, it has great potential.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

iLLUNis: Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it was just late and I'd had a few beers and that quote seemed to fit somehow ops:
    I think the points you made were very important, it's easy to forget how it feels to be a newbie visiting a site for the first time when you see that site every day and know a lot of the members.

splattergnome: May I call you splatty? I can see that it doesn't matter how you get somewhere as long as you get there. It would make sense to use the DGDev and DelphiGamer names to bring traffic to a new site.
    But keeping them separate could be a little confusing when just about everybody who visits one site is going to visit the other.

WILL: Pushy? You? Never! :twisted: I didn't think the 'one-site' idea was the right one for us at first. But the more I think about it, it does make a lot of sense. We have a chance to build the best Delphi game dev site and there's nothing wrong with 'thinking big'. Putting everything into one place might be the only way to do this properly. Wasn't GameDev.net a combination of about 5 sites? Imagine if you were trying to sell 2 soft drinks, one called 'Coca' and the other called 'Cola'. Try telling your customers they're both the same drink. Bad analogy but you get what I mean? :?

A quick point about Turbo, it covers more than 'just' Delphi, it's for Borland compilers. Might not be important but thought I'd better mention it.

iLLUNis

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCat
    iLLUNis: Sorry, that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, it was just late and I'd had a few beers and that quote seemed to fit somehow ops:
    No offence taken Bluecat .....I am glad that you agree that newbies are THE potential customers after all....Everyone can learn from each other but new members can learn from all of us....(I like that... )...

As far as it concerns the ONE site we are talking about, i agree that the CocaCola example was not the best to be found......but think about the folowing one....Think about Microsoft and Intel.....Microsoft supports intel and Intel supports Microsoft but none of the companies crosses a certain point.....Both they make sales and also they stand for each other.....
    I would think that if a merge was going to happen something similar could be acheived....... :roll: .....

Good to see that changes are afoot. I'm tempted to volunteer for the tutorial writing people. I'll give a definitive answer soon-ish, since I'm a little worried that I won't regain my motivation soon (but hopefully I will, since I've got used to the new flat).

DGDev world domination tour, 2003! :viking:
    "All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind."
    <br />-- Aristotle

Hey guys,

After running turbo for about 4 years now, I do think we could use some sort of "rebirth" with some fresh new content, tutorials, etc.

The only problem is that the cards are "stacked against us..."

:arrow: I don't do that much Delphi development anymore
    :arrow: I don't do that much game development anymore
    :arrow: Outside of Delphi3d.net and GLScene there aren't very many active projects these days
    :arrow: Many of the good old sites aren't up anymore

...I could go on and on, but it just gets bleaker.

If I we're going to fix things, I do agree that a division of labor would be great. And here's the areas that need help....

:arrow: More "reporters" are needed to find/post news on turbo
    :arrow: The very stale links area needs updating and maintainance
    :arrow: More promotion is needed to convert all the non-game Delphi users into "DelphiGamers"

I used to have a deal with Torry.net where I had a banner ad in his rotation, and that used to bring 1000s of users a week.

With more users the site pretty much runs itself. People send me news, I post it, people comment, people discuss, rinse, repeat.

How does that fit into the current discussion?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast