Thread: I'm Back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesso View Post
    My brother is still fiddling with that darn object/scripting engine thing you get through steam (not sure what it's called), but the language looks reasonably complex and he is good at it, it's just a matter of getting him interested in building something from scratch instead of playing with someone else's toy lol.
    Building something from scratch is a lot more dificult than just using some good scripting language. IMagine that you need to build a game with only the basic units (no graphics engine, no sound engine, etc.). Even thou you are a skiled programer it wouldn't be an easy job for you. No imagine how dificult it would be for a beginner.
    I myself hasn't tried convincing my friends to begin programing, becouse most of them aren't much in computer and use them only for web surfing any maybe to write a document using Word. And that is about it.
    But there is one friend wich showed a litle interest in programing. So I showed him a few basic functions (conditional clauses, loops, events). In about an hour I managed to teach him enough to build a small program where he was changing color off different controls, resizing them, moving them aound the form, etc. But unfortunatly he lost interest soon afther that when we tried to go on more difficult tasks. Well I don't blame him. He is 55years old guy who has never done any programing before, who actualy started using computers only after he bought one for his son.
    The rate of how quickly he gasped the basics shows how good OOP laguages are.
    The biggest advantage of OOP programing language is easy understandable logic that it uses. And why is it so easy understandable? Becouse it is very similar to the logics that we use in real life all the time (if you want a chair to be on different location you need to move it, the same logic aplies to changing positions of some objects in OOP).

@Chesso
    As for your brother, don't try to force him too much, becouse you might just achive an oposite effect. Maybe it would be better if you guys try to join your knowledge and build something similar that your brother uses. Maybe your brother can even help you build better one becouse he would probably like to have some more function implemented. Eventualy he might get interested in object pascal becouse he would like to extend the capability of ypur project by himself.
    Yes I know that making something like this is way from easy to do but in the end it might pay off big time.

I've been watching CodeRage 6 this week. I was thinking about how cool it would be to do a webinar for FP/Lazarus and have language demonstrations, middleware presentations, and application demos, including games.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
    I've been watching CodeRage 6 this week. I was thinking about how cool it would be to do a webinar for FP/Lazarus and have language demonstrations, middleware presentations, and application demos, including games.
    Something like this could be achieved if enough people are interested and willing to contribute. Doing a live presentation might not happen to be honest, but I can't see why an online series of talks on game development and Object Pascal tools and libraries couldn't be put together. I know people in different areas that could contribute and present different topics ranging from language-specific to game design to working with or showing off a series of development tools that can be used.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Murmandamus View Post
    I considered arranging something similar for the Mac Pascal community a year ago, but I didn't get around to it, fearing that the community was a bit too small and not quite likely enough to care. Maybe I was unnecessarily pessimistic. Anyway, this community could be a better place for such projects.

Because I think it is a good thing. We need to communicate what we are doing, and too much lands only as small bits and pieces, and you never really know if a certain package is worth the time. With good presentations, one could get brief, to the point introductions that might actually provide the information needed to pick the packages that suits ones needs.

Blog Entries
    There is talks about a webinar style event similar to CodeRage happening for the PGD community. If you are interested in doing a "talk" on a specific topic, you might get your opportunity to do one eventually.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder